Just Browsing: Neur-Isis-core - Cult of Luna, Deadbird, Del Rey, & Windmills...

circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Just Browsing: Neur-Isis-core – Cult of Luna, Deadbird, Del Rey, & Windmills by the Ocean
By Jason Jordan

What you're reading right now is the inaugural installment of "Just Browsing," which delivers rapid-fire reviews of albums that are connected in one or more ways. Essentially, the point of "Just Browsing" is to briefly touch on albums that we didn't receive for review, but we feel are important to mention anyway. The first issue - there is no set schedule as to when "JB" will appear, however - centers on the hazy subgenre now referred to as Neur-Isis-core.

Cult of Luna – Somewhere Along the Highway
Earache Records – MOSH344 – June 27th, 2006

mosh344.jpg

The latest from Sweden’s Cult of Luna – Somewhere Along the Highway – draws from efforts by the genre’s progenitors, but is also striking in its own, unique way. Arguably more adventurous than their previous full-length Salvation, and at times as emotional as fellow scenesters Envy and Mouth of the Architect, Cult of Luna continue to explore by incorporating uncommon instruments such as the banjo, odd rhythmical patterns furthered by simple yet unpredictable drumming, and captivating instrumental sections punctuated by typical, Neurosis-style vocalizing. I could easily do without the Jesu-esque “Marching to the Heartbeats” and dusty crawler “And with Her Came the Birds” – even if integral to the story – since distortion-drenched songs like “Finland” and “Back to Chapel Town” cannot be overtaken. Though their material is memorable, I almost always feel something is missing, as if the Swedes are capable of producing music of a higher caliber.

7.5/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Cult of Luna Website
Official Earache Records Website

Deadbird – The Head and the Heart
Earache Records – MOSH317 – March 21st, 2005

deadbird.jpg

Originally issued by Codebreaker and grouped in with the oft-overlapping subgenres known as doomcore and Neur-Isis-core, Deadbird’s The Head and the Heart blends the sludginess found in bands such as The Abominable Iron Sloth and Black Cobra with the overriding traits of Minsk and Neurosis to arrive at a dirty, dirty result, which isn’t quite flabbergasting since the group hail from Arkansas – Louisiana’s neighbors to the north. Perhaps a cop-out assessment would claim Deadbird sound like a Neurosis gone sludge, but THatH is much deeper than it first appears partially because mud’s visibility level tends to be rather low.

7/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Deadbird Website
Official Earache Records Website

Del Rey – A Pyramid for the Living
My Pal God Records – MPG063 – September 26th, 2006

delrey.jpg

Fans of Isis’s and Tides’s respective mixtures of lonely drifting and violent crashing, along with Giant Squid’s introspective moments, will surely appreciate Del Rey’s new one – the five-song, 50-minute A Pyramid for the Living. Having several full-lengths and releases under their belt, it’s astounding that this Chicagoan outfit have slipped by unnoticed when a group like Russian Circles can hit it relatively big with only a 1000, sold-out copies of a self-released EP and an excellent, debut full-length on Flameshovel to their name. At any rate, Del Rey are 100% instrumental, and continuously prove they can hang with nearly all of their peers. “Olympus Mons” simultaneously reveals and reaffirms the M.O. that many of these similar-minded bands use: calm, soothing lead-ins build up to turbulent portions filled with restrained prowess. A Pyramid for the Living requires patience, though, especially in regards to the uninitiated. However, those in the loop know exactly what to expect, and the fact that the epigones of Neurosis, Isis, et al are staggeringly proficient says something about this particular style (Neur-Isis-core/post-rock) and this particular four-piece.

8/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Del Rey Website
Official My Pal God Records Website

Windmills by the Ocean – Windmills by the Ocean
Robotic Empire – ROBO066 – August 8th, 2006

wbto.jpg

This could possibly be the most interesting of the bunch based on history alone. Recorded in 2003, Windmills by the Ocean is just being heard for the first time, and features current and/or previous members of 27, Anodyne, Red Sparowes, and Isis. Containing five, untitled songs that last almost 40 minutes, WbtO parallel Isis and Red Sparowes during their post-rock moments – naturally – but occasionally venture into experimental drone/doom territory on latter tracks, a la Jesu and SunnO))). Sure, the approach is disjointed and all the songs up for grabs are too monotonous for their own good, but I’ll be damned if the third track isn’t catchy as catchy can be. Also, in a strict sense, the now-defunct Windmills by the Ocean are merely near-instrumental since the disc has a handful of “la la las” scattered about. On the whole, I’m glad this recording was unearthed as it provides a glimpse into the individual members’ musical histories and will, more than likely, lead to a greater understanding of the projects the guys would move on to form or flesh out.

7.5/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Windmills by the Ocean Website
Official Robotic Empire Website

"Though their material is memorable, I almost always feel something is missing, as if the Swedes are capable of producing music of a higher caliber."

Interesting, thats actually how I've felt about every one of their albums besides this one. I think they were finally able to really get the feeling they wanted on this record. This is probably becaus it was recorded and mixed by the band themselves and for the most part recorded live. And I LOVE those two transition tracks :)