Just got a powered Kemper - have a few questions!

reneisgod

Rene
Aug 28, 2006
Scotland
en-gb.facebook.com
I intend to use the kemper through a cab powered by
the Kemper's power amp. Do i have to turn off a profiles poweramp?
so far i can only see a knob for turning off the cab? does this mean im left with a profile that contains both the pre and poweramp?

Its a solid state poweramp on the kemper so will it actually matter if i profile
my 6505's pre-amp and power amp and then run it through a cab or should i only be profiling the 6505's preamp?

The manual doesn't really offer any solid advice on this matter.

I think the cab section is off by default on the output of the poweramp of the kemper.
Not sure if you can even turn it on on that one, I have the unpowered version and only used a powered one a couple of times. I didn't have to turn anything off when I used it with a guitar cab,
and I think it was straight out of the box.

The way it worked until a recent-ish update is this: the kemper estimated where the amp ends and the cab starts (in the profile), and calculated how it should sound when you remove the cab and mic part. It worked pretty well, but wasn't exact.

Now post FW 3.0, a thing called DI Profiling/Merging exists. If a profile was created that way, you have the benefits of both the real sound of JUST the amp (from the power amp out, so including the power amp of the amp), and also the "normal" profile tone of amp/cab/mic to go to FOH (you can do that simultaneously).
Since the kemper poweramp is SS it won't color the tone to the cab any further, and you're left with a really realistic version of how the actual amp would sound through that cab.

So you should do a DI profile (page 14 http://www.kemper-amps.com/api/download/dlid/469) do get that benefit. You'll need a DI box to do that.

hope it was clear and helped.

The poweramp in the Kemper is a flat solid state amp so doesn't impart any sound/character of it's own. So you actually want to be capturing the poweramp in your profiles as it's part of the amps sound.