Just had hernia repair surgery yesterday

grywolf627

Mar 16, 2006
Houston, TX
Open surgery...not the laparascopic/small incision kind. I'll tell you, whoever writes the information guides to surgical procedures has never gone through them. I THOUGHT the incision was going to be ...umm...lower. Nope, it's an abdominal cut. They said I'd probably be home by 2:00 or 3:00pm at the latest. I didn't get home until 10:00pm! They won't let you go until you can pee. But since I was so dehydrated from not letting me eat or drink the night before, I seemed to soak up all the liquids they gave me. They had to keep moving me from department to department, because they were all closing for the day (they didn't count on me being there that long either). The doctor/nurses/information guides mentioned only some "slight discomfort in the groin"...like, possible swelling or bruising. I thought, fine...I can deal with that. Hell, since it's a abdominal cut...it freakin' hurts like hell and I can barely move. "Oh, you'll be able to return to work by Monday". Yeah....we'll see how well things progress over the next four days. I can walk around...slowly. But sitting down/getting up is an ordeal. Anway...I'm home. Trying to rest a little, but also walk around and stay mobile. Was hoping I'd be able to lay down a few rhythm track to a new project in my down time. What the hell was I thinking? :rolleyes: :lol:

I feel ya man! Ive had 2 hernia ops, 1 on each side of the ol' meat and two veg! Still chance I could blow another gasket in future.....bloody hope not! :lol:

Two? Yikes! And yeah..I wasn't too thrilled to hear that because I've had one, I have a high chance of developing one on the other side...or the one that was repaired can cause problems again. Wish they could have done the laparacopy (sp?) on me, because it's much small incisions and quicker recovery. But couldn't because of a previous surgery.

Yeah I wanted to have this mesh stuff put in there after the second one to give the inner wall extra strength but they said you have to be over 25 or something to have that. My first was when I was 9 and the second at 18, the first was really easy, afterwards I was walking straight away just really tired. The second time *they say its harder as you get older* I was in a fair bit of pain, getting out the bed and into the car was stupidly hard.

But yeah, hopefully your otherside keeps intact! Its not too great having scars in the nether-regions!

That sucks dude!
Hope it gets better real soon.. i wanna hear some riffz! ;)

And about having to stay longer then expected at a hospital: Ive done that, and it sucks.

When i removed my wisdom teeth, i had to be awake for an hour without feeling nausea, which you do feel when you have a mouth full of blood and stitches + drawbacks from the drugs, so i was awake like an hour before the nausea started to go away.
Then they told me i HAD to eat ice cream before leaving(Just to show that i could keep things down.).
Yup, uhuh, took a bite and completely cramped in pain(Jawbone surgery + cold = pain!).
So then they called down the surgeon, because apparently i needed to get a local anesthetic for the pain(And they wouldn't take no for an answer and couldnt get it through their thick skulls that it was the ice cream that caused it.).
So all in all, it took about 5 hours or so before i could get home with my cheeks hanging by my knees because of that damn anesthetic(They expected it to take 2 hours.). :lol:

Oh yeah, hospital horror stories!

One of my personal favourites:

Aua_edit.jpg

See the long screw going through both bones?

When they tried to remove that one, they cut me open before the anaesthetic (really) kicked in. I almost punched the doctor in the face. Then they realized they didn't have the "proper tools" (wtf?) to remove that screw (which was inserted at a another hospital). So, because they didn't have the right fucking screwdriver, they went ahead to just rip the screw out of the bones.

By that point they had to fixate my arms at the table, because the 15 minutes the surgery was supposed to last - and the anaesthetic accordingly - were long over.

After more than an hour they finally stitched me up and made me wait to get home. I am/was supposed to have some surgeries following up but I told them to fuck off.

Experienced some way worse stuff in that very hospital, but I won't get into that.

----

Well, sorry for hijacking Mark. Hope you feel better soon! :kickass:

I also had to go through open surgery of hernia, but it was on my lower back bone. Worst time of my life. The 10 days on withdraw of morphine after the surgery were my definition of hell. At least I had this forum, YouTube and torrents to fool around while I couldn´t leave the bed.

...and how the hell can hospital food sucks so much?! They totally do that crap on purpose for you to leave as soon as possible.

No problem Slash for sharing your horror story. :) Sorry you had to go through that!!

And Narcossinthese, actually food at this particular hospital is actually really good. :) I didn't stay long enough to have any this time. But my wife had our son at the same place, so I got to eat there for a couple of days. And since I live basically across the street from the hospital, I've actually thought about going over there for lunch some time. lol mmm...fried catfish! :D

Damn Mark, sorry you had to go through that dude - how'd you get it? Just lifted a box the wrong way? :D

David...let's just say my cringe-count went through the roof when reading your harrowing tale, jesus christ :lol:

And James, clearly it's a sign you need to eat a goddamn hamburger once in a while :D

Oh damn, that sucks - I honestly didn't even know hernias could be congenital, I thought they only happened when you, well, you know, tried to pick up heavy boxes the wrong way and such :lol:

Yeah you can just been born with weakness' that can become a problem in later life. You can get hernias through the heavy lifting aswell, somebody I know lifted a door and *POP!* :erk:

Marcus, I really have no idea how I got mine. I was diagnosed with it back in July, but since it wasn't that bad, I just put it off. Back then, my wife was VERY pregnant and on doctor ordered bed rest...so I had to take care of everything. I didn't have time to be layed up for a while. Then Alex was born, and Mari had some complications. I had to take care of everything again (or STILL) for a while. It's always just been one thing or another coming up. But, Alex is getting heavier, and harder for daddy to carry around...sometimes causing a lot pain afterwards. So I decided it was finally time to get it taken care of.

And yeah James, I'm definitely *ahem* over 25 :lol: , so I got the mesh. I have no idea how big my cut is, I just know it's a hell of a bandage on me (comes off tomorrow). Just seems strange to me to have open surgery and go home the same day. :loco:

I've had a sports hernia since october, and having major difficulty getting rid of it :( (I have no visible petrusion) Its April and it still wont bugger off. At least that is what I believe I have. Doctors are useless and just stuck me on a course of "anti inflams" for a 2 week period just as I suspected (and with no actual diagnosis). If I rest for a good week or 2, i start to feel pretty good again but running is a complete no-no so ive been out of the footie team for almost half a year now.

Some say try to excercise it out, others say a large amount of rest. Im trying to balance the two at the moment to build up some sort of power down there again. Special stretches and light weights I reckon is the answer.

Another major downside ofc, ive put a stone on since then so im sat at 90KG at 6ft1 which may only get worse!

I worked in surgery for some time.....you won't me to start telling some stories...and I wont ;)

If they're anything like your sex stories ... ja, keep 'em to yourself for Sneap's sake! :lol:

Back on topic ... hope you feel better soon man. I never had hernia surgery but I was in the hospital for a month with a lung that just kept collapsing ... chest tubes are not a pleasant ordeal by any means either and I had 3 of them in me at one point