Just saw PRIMAL FEAR live for the 1st time...(a review)

labrekk

Jul 16, 2002
Canada
Visit site
In Montreal yesterday...And they RULED big time. Ralf Scheepers gave a killer performance, really interactive with the crowd and hitting all the notes easily. Henny Wolter is really energetic on stage and did quite a bit of lead guitar too. Very funny dude too that enjoys being on the stage a lot. Alex Beyrodt (who filled in for Magnus Karlsson, whose wife just had baby twins) is a bit more "quiet" on the stage but has killer chops. Mat Sinner was excellent too, playing tightly and doing lots of backing vox. And Randy Black, even though not playing on his own kit, was very impressive on drums. One of the very best ones I saw. He's certainly in the same class as a guy like Mike Terrana in the metal field. The guy is a machine and you can see he has big fun to play live too, even more in his own country too, as he's the only non-German in the band, from BC, Canada.

I was really happy to finally see these guys live, especially Mat Sinner and Scheepers, as they've all separately been at one time or another in so many metal bands I really enjoyed (and still do) since the last 25 years or so (Sinner, Thunderhead, Tyran' Pace, Voodoo Circle, Silent Force, Annihilator, Gamma Ray...)

The venue, who holds around 600, wasn't sold-out, but the turnaround was decent. And the crowd was REALLY into the band, who looked quite impressed at the crowd reaction all show long. Ralf promised they would be back in the future.

This was the setlist (if I remember well), including a short guitar solo by Beyrodt, where the funny Wolter tried to compete in a dual, which he lost, of course...)

Fighting The Darkness, where Pamela Moore joined Ralf on stage for a duet, was one of the highlights for me, as were Batallions Of Hate, 16.6, and Chainbreaker.

Intro
Under the Radar
Batallions of Hate
Killbound
Nuclear Fire
Six Times Dead (16.6)
Angel In Black
Sign Of Fear
Fighting the Darkness (with Pamela Moore as guest)
Riding the Eagle
Final Embrace
Metal is Forever

Encore:
Hands of Time (unplugged)
Seven Seals
Chainbreaker

Too bad we didn't get Running In The Dust, which was played at some previous shows, but this was a high-quality tracklisting IMO.

Anyone who saw them on that US tour has comments? This band doesnt get all the credit they deserve IMO. I mean, yes, the first couple albums were excellent, but very influenced by Judas Priest. But since at least Seven Seals, they found their own style and they're in the "elite" of the heavy/power style IMO. It's a shame they don't have a better following in North America, as it's the same for many other bands like Nocturnal Rites, Tad Morose and Sinner, to name a few.

Guillaume

Killer time in Los Angeles on Tuesday at the Key Club followed by a neckbreaking set at the Preparty at Progpower. Pictures to come soon from the L.A. show, waiting on film developing for the Atlanta show.

Alex did a fantastic job filling in for Magnus, the guy totally shreds!!

All throughout the weekend at PPX, I'd meet someone and they'd say "Oh you're the chick that was going crazy during PF set!" :lol: Thanks Arne for letting us share the soundboard area with you!!!

I think it was the same set as the PPX showcase. Damn I was up front by the rail and those guys blown me away, I ended totally Primalized!

Hope the pics I took came out right, I'm awaiting for development of the film.

Primal Fear was awesome live. I just wish they would have done more material from Black Sun - maybe it didn't sell well?

"Is Rob Halford in this band?!"
"No, but this guy was supposed to be his replacement"
"Holy shit dude!"

16.6 BANNER SOUNDCHECK AT KEY CLUB LOS ANGELES, CA
894506e4.jpg

ALEX BEYRODT
2f462e6d.jpg

RANDY BLACK
f879ac9a.jpg

HENNY WOLTER
51047292.jpg

f0b8e29d.jpg

MAT SINNER
845e69c2.jpg

RALF SCHEEPERS
8ab5454d.jpg

HANDS OF TIME
722a2bae.jpg

LIVE AT KEY CLUB
166c5fde.jpg

18afad1c.jpg

baf5bb2e.jpg

6823a0ea.jpg

2f5cc314.jpg

Curious to know if Magnus (congrats on the birth of his children) has been able to play on this tour at all or solely tending to his new family? If he is playing, how is he being received, fitting in, performing etc. Can't say I'm a diehard PF fan but have always followed Magnus and his various projects, though have never seen him live...I think he is a great player / songwriter.

Magnus stayed home during this two week blast thru the U.S. and Canada. Alex Beyrodt from Silent Force stepped in and filled the spot nicely, the dude shreds!!!

New tour starting up with Brainstorm soon.

Alex Beyrodt from Silent Force stepped in and filled the spot nicely, the dude shreds!!!

No shit, I was a bit confused when I didn't saw Magnus on stage, but Alex blew me away with his pyrotechnical guitar. Fabulous concert indeed! :headbang:

Magnus stayed home during this two week blast thru the U.S. and Canada. Alex Beyrodt from Silent Force stepped in and filled the spot nicely, the dude shreds!!!

New tour starting up with Brainstorm soon.

Cool thanks. Alex is amazing...I'm sure he was great live!

I took a vacation from Florida, up to New York to see them at The Gramercy in New York City.

I saw them once in Italy during The Black Sun tour.

The setlist was pretty much the same as Canadas with Pamela Moore guest singing.

Great show...I'd make the trip again. It was worth it.

p.s. I would've like to have heard more from Black Sun live also, but I hear the band themselves don't like that cd that much. Something about having to rush to record it and they think it could've come out better than it did with more time. Oh well, I love the latest disc also.

p.s. I would've like to have heard more from Black Sun live also, but I hear the band themselves don't like that cd that much. Something about having to rush to record it and they think it could've come out better than it did with more time. Oh well, I love the latest disc also.

I think that album was among their best work - I'm not terribly familiar with their pre-2000 releases but I like it at least as much as anything they've released since Devil's Ground. Certainly they could at least play the title track off BSun?

I just become acquainted with the pre-"Seven Seals" albums as I bought them at PPX. My friend Rob (Vicious Robbie) says "Black Sun" it's one of their best but my first impression was neutral, at the same time I had read several bad reviews of "Devil's Ground" in the past and I found the album alright. I have to spin again the albums, but my impression in general terms is that my favorites are "New Religion" and "16.6 Before The Devil Knows You're Dead". Will see what happens some time from now after proper listening of the other albums :)

It is sad that the band believes that BS is one of their worst albums because it has a great collection of tunes such as Magic Eye, the title track, Armaggeddon and the crushing riff-fest Fear. The album is just meant to be played live and if you watch their dvd, The History of Fear, the show from that tour is just an ass-kicker. For me, Nuclear Fire and BS are their one two punch. Sure, I love their new approach in New Religion but I fell in love with this band for their aggressive style during their first four records. :cool: