Kalmah's "12 Gauge" on vinyl!

Darth Grimby

Hell's Satans - \m/oncton
Jul 20, 2002
www.theundergrowth.com
With the return of vinyl as a viable medium, I'm surprised there's not more excitement or buzz around here about the new Kalmah album being available on vinyl. Limited to 500, you guys should get in on this now:

http://www.svartrecords.com/shoppe/product.php?id_product=76

I've already ordered mine, I should have ordered 2.

For the band: any plans on releasing your past material in this format? I would kill to have They Will Return on vinyl!

So was nobody else excited about this? No one else bought one?

37676_10150227022180471_532980470_13543912_894507_n.jpg

Hello Gimby,

I have to admit, i am a little ignorant about these vinyls. Why should one be excited about these, what made you buy one? Is it the rarity of it (limited to 500), the vintage aspect, the superior sound quality or a combination of all this?

This is a serious question.

Good question, Hidious. I only got into record collecting 2 years ago. I grew up on records with my parents but like most kids my age, I began collecting cassettes and then eventually CDs. Anyway, a few years ago I ended up finding a great condition copy of Judas Priest's "Defenders of the Faith" on LP for a dollar at a yard sale, and soon began the journey of collecting vinyl. I started with collecting just Priest, as they are my favourite band, but then as I started listening to them, I noticed that these songs somehow sounded different than what I remembered on CD. They sounded "fuller", or more complete. So I guess, the first reason I collect vinyl is that yes, the sound is better.

The second reason, one that you didn't mention, is obvious: the record jacket/cover. When you have a great album cover (like Kalmah's 12 Gauge), it looks so much better when it's 4 times bigger than CD cover!

So these are the 2 main reasons I buy vinyl. In the case of this Kalmah record, the rarity certainly sweetens the deal, but is not the reason I bought it. I would say that the limited to 500 run was the reason I rushed to buy it immediately upon release, because I thought there would be a lot more demand for them.

Some notes about collecting and listening to vinyl:
- sometimes scratches or dust can ruin the listening experience.
- they cost more to ship (ordering online is pretty much the only way to buy records these days)
- with new releases check to ensure that the album was actually mastered for vinyl. If not you could end up with a digital recording on vinyl, which completely defeats the purpose!
- storage can be a pain; they are big/bulky and have to be stored upright like books, never flat.

Let me know if this piqued your interest and you actually start buying/collecting!

Cheers.

I've got quite a collection going on the last couple of years though as of recently I've only gotten Darkthrone's newest on vinyl.

The local record shop has Kalmah's 12 Gauge on vinyl for 17e but I have been just too lazy to get it. There have been a few really good albums released on vinyl I want to get. Another band is Survivors Zero. I'll get these when I get off my ass and just fuckin' do it.

Guess I got off my ass. :lol:

Just ordered them on Friday and got a text this morning that they are waiting at the post office for me:

Survivors Zero - CXMIXMCMCMCMCMCMCM
Kalmah - 12 Gauge

Also ordered on vinyl:

CoB - Reckless Relentless Forever
Burzum - Fallen (limited edition colored)

For anyone who is interested in getting the vinyl edition both Record Shop X and Svart Records are having sales.

http://www.svartrecords.com/shoppe/product.php?id_product=76
http://www.recordshopx.com/artist/kalmah/12_gauge/#lp

@Bringer: Nice haul man. I actually saw that sale last week and ended up ordering another copy of 12 Gauge, haha. I will not open this one, and I'll bring the other one with me when I see them play next month. Hoping to get their autographs in silver marker all over the front cover.

Did your first copy come shrink wrapped? Mine didn't. The only two vinyls I have ever received in shrink wrap was Björk's Voltra and Burzum's Belus. Even the two that arrived yesterday (Survivors Zero and Kalmah) were without wrap and just inside the thick plastic slip.

I knew I forgot to ask them a question at the Sudbury show. Can someone ask the band at the Hamilton, or Quebec shows if there are any plans for releasing the other albums on vinyl? Please and thank you!

Just received my 12 Gauge vinyl!!!!! It's amazing!!! If they were sealed, I would definitely order another one.

I own two copies (one mint backup copy, as I do with all of my favorite albums). it sounds fantastic. I really hope Kalmah manages to release their backcatalogue on vinyl, especially SWAMPLORD!

I have 3 copies :S When I saw it was on vinyl I bought one, and then later went back to get one for a friend and they had lowered the price and were super cheap so I bought a couple more :p It actually inspired me to start a vinyl collection of some of my favorite metal bands and now I have about 30 or so... here is some of them, not the clearest picture :)
IMAG0495.jpg