Kansas & BOC

sixxswine

rockandrollazine.blogspot
I've been wanting to pick up some records by Kansas, I was watching VH-1 classic a while back & they played a couple of live clips of them, I got interested... Where would be a good place to start?
And what records would you recommend by Blue Oyster Cult?
\m/6

sixxswine said:
Killer, Thanks you guys. I will print the thread out & start looking.
By the way Hawk have you picked up the Metalology set yet?!
I picked it up this afternoon, fucking great set!
I haven't looked at the DVD yet but I am sure I'm in for a treat!
\m/
You know, I picked up all the remastered releases that came out a few years ago together with the nice box. So I have about 80% of the sonic material in Metalology set. The Memphis vid I got when it was released!

So while there is something in this set, I'll think I'll wait until the price will come down a bit. I sure as hell want it :)

I hope I can control myself, patience is not always one of my virtues ;)

but if you want more raw BOC, get "Tyranny And Mutation". Or get the two disc "Workshop Of The Telescopes" compilation or the single disc "Don't Fear The Reaper:The Best Of".

I am embarrassed to say it, but I don't own a single BOC album, but IOS is dead on with his Kansas picks. Kansas is very majestic and it's easy to tell they have influenced some of the modern metal bands like Angra and Vanden Plas.

Bryant

Hawk said:
You know, I picked up all the remastered releases that came out a few years ago together with the nice box. So I have about 80% of the sonic material in Metalology set. The Memphis vid I got when it was released!

So while there is something in this set, I'll think I'll wait until the price will come down a bit. I sure as hell want it :)

I hope I can control myself, patience is not always one of my virtues ;)
Well, I think there'sa cahnce that you could even score a clean used copy, though I don't know who in their right mind would sell it off! Good luck on the impulse control, I sure as hell couldn't pass it up. I for one haven't seen the Memphis show, so for me it's all new.
\m/6

sixxswine said:
Well, I think there'sa cahnce that you could even score a clean used copy, though I don't know who in their right mind would sell it off! Good luck on the impulse control, I sure as hell couldn't pass it up. I for one haven't seen the Memphis show, so for me it's all new.
\m/6
The Memphis vid is great! It rocks in a major way!! Classic in every way! :worship:

I do not own anything by Kansas and am not really familair with them. In some related news though I have the new Jack Frost solo cd "Raise Your Fist To Metal" and there is a cover of "Fight Fire With Fire" by Kansas on there and it is awesome.

As far as Blue Oyster Cult I only own "Agents Of Fortune" and it is very good. I plan on buying more from them. I hear their first album is just amazing. I have tickets to see Blue Oyster Cult and UFO this September.

Hawk said:
The Memphis vid is great! It rocks in a major way!! Classic in every way! :worship:

Hell yeah!! MTv used to show that concert every now and then back in the early 80's, I think I still have a copy around here that was taped off of MTv.

Yes sir, it features a whole slew of all star people including....

Mike Duda (W.A.S.P.)
Harry Hess (Harem Scarem)
Gonzo Sandoval (Armored Saint, Life After Death)
Joey Vera (Armored Saint, Seven Witches, Fates Warning)
Mike Lepond (Symphony X)
Joe Comeau (ex Annihilator, ex Overkill)
Johnny Dee (Doro, Britny Fox, Waysted)
Bobby Lucas (ex Seven Witches, Exhibition, Overlord)
Rob Rock (ex Warrior, ex Impellitteri, ex Axel Rudi Pell)
Steve Braun (Azlan)
Billy Childs (Britny Fox)
Jack Emrick (Life After Death)

Aside from great new originals it fetaures covers of Kansas "Fight Fire With Fire" and Ratt "Lack Of Commuinication". Both are killer.

The first 3 BOC albums are worth checking out, good stuff.

Not long ago I picked up a copy of BOC's "Club Nija" (1986) on vinyl for like 50 cent and you know what..... it's a damn good album! They do a song called "Beat 'Em Up" on that album, Lee Aaron did that same song the same year on her "Call Of The Wild" album.

The Jack Frost cd is not bad, but I wouldn't rush for it if I were you Sixx. Good guest singers though, they're the main attraction IMO.

The Kansas cover is much heavier than the original, featuring a good vocal performance by Steve Braun.

Fangface said:
The Jack Frost cd is not bad, but I wouldn't rush for it if I were you Sixx. Good guest singers though, they're the main attraction IMO.

The Kansas cover is much heavier than the original, featuring a good vocal performance by Steve Braun.
Thanks Fang & Greeno, I'll add that to the list, sounds interesting.
I managed to pick up the Best of Kansas today for $8.00, I figured you can't lose with a best of right? I'm still working on some Blue Oyster Cult & still looking over the lists of Kansas stuff you guys recommended...

MMM The most populair Kansas is the 70s Kansas. There was also the more commercial Kansas from the 80s. Both are *very* different.

I don't know which one you will like better, but chances are that this "Best of Kansas" does not really let the 70s Kansas shine. I could be wrong though. Could you give me the track list and song times of that sampler? Because I had a sampler were the track "Song for America" was being faded out in the middle of the song. :(

I am writing this because I think that I believe you *can* go wrong with a Kansas sampler. If you write them off, I'd like you to write off the real Kansas. I know that your not one for snap judgements but I wanted to let you know this.

I have a few of the "Best Of" releases by Kansas and BOC - awesome stuff. I didn;t really start getting into either of them until the mid 90's, but they both have some great stuff...I especially like the melodies Kansas has in a lot of their songs...

And you can't neat "Astronomy" by BOC - Metallica did a great job covering that tune...

IOfTheStorm said:
HA
I think that they sucked covering "Astronomy"
They totally DESTROYED the atmosphere of the original.

It's all a matter of taste I suppose...I really liked it. Definitely not the same feel of the original, but I think they did it justice...