Kat-V update (for all 5 of you interested)

OrbWeaver

BECAUSE FALCONER
Jan 15, 2007
Illinois, USA
www.myspace.com
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=156440

KATAGORY V Taps DENNIS WARD For New Album Mix - Apr. 6, 2011
Salt Lake City, Utah's progressive/power metal veterans KATAGORY V have tapped German/American producer Dennis Ward (PINK CREAM 69, ANGRA, PRIMAL FEAR, SILENT FORCE) to take care of the mixing and mastering duties for the band's upcoming fifth album, "Resurrect The Insurgence".

Commented bassist/songwriter and founding member Dustin Mitchell: "I know it has been quite a while since we have had any official updates concerning the new album, and many of you were becoming concerned that we had fallen off the face of the earth, but I can finally say we are seeing progress and the KATAGORY V machine is in full motion once again!

"First things first. We finalized the vocal tracks around the beginning of December, and also brought in guest vocalists, Norman Skinner (SKINNER, TRAMONTANE, ex-IMAGIKA), Shane Provstgaard (SONIC PROPHECY) and John Yelland (SHADOWSEER, DISFORIA), to help with many of the backing vocals, a first for KATAGORY V! These guys were amazing and we want to officially thank them for delivering a brilliant performance in the studio!

"We officially wrapped up recording for the album in its entirety in January, at which point we took a little time off before tracking down an individual that could tackle the mixing and mastering of our new album, We needed someone that would have and ear and understanding for the direction the band is currently taking.

"This is also another first for KATAGORY V, as we have never handed over our music to anyone outside of the band, and we knew it was time to take another step forward and do something different. We already had in mind a few people that would be able to help with our vision for this new album, but one particular name kept coming up over and over, and that was Dennis Ward.

"We are proud to announce that Dennis has agreed to take on this challenge, and will be putting his amazing talents to use with our music. His abilities behind the board are without question, and are key to the path we are taking with 'Resurrect The Insurgence'. After hearing some of the initial mixes, we are confident that he will help us deliver a high-quality album that will easily overshadow anything we have done previously both musically and sonically."

Stated Dennis Ward: "Mixing and mastering the new KATAGORY V album has been a real pleasure. The new songs have a progressive touch along the lines of RUSH-meets-IRON MAIDEN, it also surprised me to hear some good ol' hard rock riffing! The band has done a great job self-recording/producing this latest offering, and I think this is the start of a new chapter for KATAGORY V. I am sure fans of all rock genres will enjoy this album."

"Resurrect The Insurgence" will be the first KATAGORY V album to be recorded, produced, and engineered by long-time bassist and songwriter Dustin Mitchell, who is the sole remaining original member in the band.

The CD marks the recording debut of the new KATAGORY V lineup:

Dustin Mitchell - Bass
Albert Rybka - Vocals
Matthew "Bizzaro" LeFevre - Drums
Marc Hanson - Guitar
Kris Krompel - Guitar

KATAGORY V's most recent album, "Hymns of Dissension", was released in September 2007 in Europe through Burning Star Records and in October 2007 in the U.S. on Nightmare Records.

Very much looking forward to checking this CD out when it is completed. Dustin, and everyone in Kat V, are hard working and very dedicated to their music.

Dustin happens to be one of the most honest and straight shooting people I have the pleasure to meet and know in the music business or even just in general. He's also a hell of funny dude as well.

Dustin is also one of those rare people who truely embody a "keep moving forward" attitude. Been plenty of times where I was ready to throw in the towel for one reason or another music wise and after chatting with Dustin (usually in the court yard at the Artmore) I was ready to start up again.

OK so now that my man-crush ravings are over...all the best to Dustin and Kat V!!! Throwing the metal horns up \m/

(OK so maybe I'm just jealous of the mangina....mine pales in comparison...sigh)

Ian Ringler

I will certainly check out any samples that are posted.
I heard the samples from the QUESTION OF MADNESS CD, and Al did a fantastic job.

Also, always looking forward to any promo pics that showcases Al's lovely mane!!!!
There are chicks that would pay good money to get their hair as soft as Al's!!!

Jason, I hate to disappoint you (believe me, I'm disappointed enough for the two of us) but Al chopped his hair off.

For some reason, I kind of figured that was coming soon. It's been a while since he did that last, and I know how he gets. Hair or no hair, still can't wait to hear the record. And we need to go get sushi again sometime soon.

wow… by my count, that’s a little more than five people now including my post! nine people? I admit, I am impressed and feel very loved right now! So, I assume it’s safe for me to throw in my official log winded comments which will result in me officially killing the thread? Alrighty then!
:Smokedev:

Thanks to all who responded here with props – and I’m speaking for the rest of the band of course – we really, REALLY appreciate the support! SERIOUSLY!
:worship:worship:

I am also sure Albert appreciates the support for his missing mane… which I bet my ass he will grow back in time to chop it off again for his next drivers licence photo. At least he can grow hair on his head… bastard.

I guess the metal gods felt bad for beating the ever living shit out of us for the last 11 years, and decided to throw us a bone. Within minutes of contacting Dennis, he replied with interest (of course all of the others started out this way…), per his request, I sent him some rough mixes of songs from the new album, and within an hour of the last song going out, he replied, “I totally dig your songs, lets do this!”. Yeah… I know… I totally shit myself too! Either he is as deaf as Ann Frank (Clerks II reference – Google it), needs the money and is doing this out of complete desperation… or he hears potential and really does like us? Only one could wonder...

Needless to say, we’ve been working hard with the mixes the last few weeks, sending stuff back and forth, and it’s been a blast working things out, and the songs are sounding mega-massive-smashing-heavy! Without a doubt, if you are a fan of ANY of the bands Dennis has worked with, then you can expect the same production/mixing values here. I had tears welling up in my eyes the first time I heard his mix of one of our songs, I thought it was someone else’s band… not mine. This sounds way too good to be Katagory V.
:cry:

With all that being said, anyone that has been on the fence with us up until now will be forced to get off it – to one side or the other. There are some fans of the older material that I guarantee will not be happy at all with our new sound and style, and others that have hated us for the same reason that will probably have a change of heart. This will indeed be interesting… This is a transitional album for us, this is sure to be our “Dimension Hatross”, “Permanent Waves”, “Perfect Symmetry” and “Into the Pandemonium”.

Of course, this all hinges on it being released for the world to pass judgment on, which at this moment, is still up in the air on if and when that will happen. I’ll end my windbag retardation with a quote from Tron –

End of line… :loco:

When I heard Dennis' name mentioned, I nearly shit myself! :heh:

I'm hoping for a very well deserved happy ending to this chapter.
and I hope everyone gives the "new" band a fair shake.

I don't envy anyone out there trying to make a living doing music. It's a tough go, there's oversaturation, the economy, the armchair musician/singer/songwriter/band managers out there on the interwebz... BUT, have faith in yourselves, I don't think someone of Ward's caliber would be interested unless there was something there.

You have my support, my friend, for whatever it's worth....:Smokedev:

Wow, Sunny D...

I had to double check the username attached to that post to make sure it wasn't Tom Phillips! Anywho, I'm convinced after hearing only a couple of these mixes that anyone into the various forms of melodic metal will find something to enjoy on this album. This may end up sounding like a whole new band to some folks, but if you ask me, this album sounds like the culmination of every influence and every sound that this band had in it from the beginning. This album may take a few more months to be released, or it may take forever to be released, but I beg that everyone give these songs a chance once they are available for listening. I'll bet that whether you've heard this band in the past or not, you'll be surprised.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

From http://www.bravewords.com/news/174271 :

'Far Too Long', another brand new song from the progressive/power metal act KATAGORY V can be streamed through the band's ReverbNation widget below. The track will appear on the band's upcoming fifth album, Resurrect The Insurgence.

Don't know how to embed this widget, so just check it out on the BraveWords link, or go here:
http://www.reverbnation.com/katagoryv