Kataklysm - In The Arms Of Devastation

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Kataklysm - In The Arms Of Devastation
Nuclear Blast - NB 1527-2 - 2006
By Philip Whitehouse

kataklysm_inthearmsofdevastation.jpg

Progenitors of the Northern Hyperblast and 12-year veterans of the death metal world, Canada's Kataklysm have maintained the consistently high quality of their musical output with this, their ninth studio album. Produced by guitarist JF Dagenois and mixed by the seemingly ubiquitous Tue Madsen, In The Arms Of Devastation sees Kataklysm balance an increased sense of melody and tempo variations with a crushingly heavy production to create a particularly weighty listening experience.

Setting out their stall from the off with 'Like Angels Weeping (The Dark)'s alternating bludgeon and blast template, Kataklysm waste no time in letting the crunchy guitars, rumbling bass, clattering drums and Maurizio Iacano's throaty growls slowly grind the listener into submission. Tracks like 'To Reign Again' show a slight Swedish death metal influence in the chorus, adding a sense of melody proceedings without ever inviting claims of wimping out. There are even a couple of guitar solosm as well. Hell, even the vocal duet with Kittie's Morgan Lander on 'It Turns To Rust' works out admirably, both vocalists shredding their throats over a deliberately-paced riff-mauling.

Things do seem to slump after the mid-point of the album, however - after 'It Turns To Rust', there isn't really a standout track until epic album closer 'The Road To Devastation', an insanely catchy and despondent sounding number mixing Maurizio's most impassioned vocal performance yet with elegantly harmonized riffs and leads to create a majestic death metal number. It's got to be said, this track was so good by itself that I was disappointed when it started to faded out - I wanted it to keep right on going. However, when the volume reaches silence and the album is done, the listener is left with the satisfaction of having heard an admirable death metal album - not groundbreaking by any means, but a rock-solid collection of songs nonetheless. Well worth picking up.

7.5/10 (UM's Review Rating Scale)

Official Kataklysm Website
Official Nuclear Blast Website

I was so impressed by this album that i immediately went out and bought Serenity In Fire, Shadows and Dust and Epic. All of which are awesome. I cant believe I let these guys go under my radar for so long.