circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Kataklysm – Serenity in Fire
Nuclear Blast Records – 2004
By Jason Jordan

kataklysm.jpg

Kataklysm, along with a band named Nile, are transforming brutal, North American death metal into a formidable genre. The heavy Canadians utilize relevant soundclips, amazing drumwork, and blistering riffs to capture their audience…and it’s working. After all it should be, because this band has existed for well over a decade, and now-more-than-ever seems to be the time for their ascension to greatness.

The disc opens with “The Ambassador of Pain." It begins with an excellent soundclip, then drifts into brutality punctuated with intense drumming. The deep, gruff vocals are fantastic, while the higher-pitched shrieks fall on deaf ears. Although short, this track is an accurate representation of all that’s right about Kataklysm: exciting riffs that are headbang worthy, interesting drumwork, and vivid illustration of a fiery atmosphere.

“The Resurrected” is notable due to its ascending and descending riffage. Clean vocals make their first appearance and add some peppered diversification. “As I Slither” is a song you’ve probably heard. Overall, it is quality, even though the chorus tends to be a little cheesy. “For All Our Sin” begins and immediately reminds me of a black metal composition. Unfortunately, the aforementioned track presents nothing redeeming and is entirely too long. The vocal presence of Peter Tagtgren (Hypocrisy, Pain) doesn’t enhance it either. Unlike the previous track, “The Night They Returned” is an example of clear, driving force that translates into utter brilliance. Fine execution.

Serenity in Fire is an invaluable addition to brutal death metal. Each song on the album has its strong points, save one. Nevertheless, Kataklysm have unleashed a platter ripe for devouring, and let’s hope their diligent work-ethic continues as it has in the past.

8.5/10

Official Kataklysm website
Official Nuclear Blast Records

I have to say that it's pretty brutal at times. But, I failed to mention how melodious it is. I can't really agree with your last statement though; I think melody is a somewhat ambiguous term.

True. As many would say, all music by nature is melodius, otherwise it isn't music.....but what I meant to differentiate was the fact that Serenity in Fire is quite an easy listen (as far as death metal goes) and, by majority, features tracks that employ relatively catchy and interesting melody. Brutal death metal, per se, doesn't feature nearly as much melody as Kataklysm seem to be employing lately...especially when you refer to thier earlier albums as well. I apologize if that came-off rather harsh though....it seems that all I am good for is critisizing the reviews and not the albums, hehe. In any case, i'd say Serenity in Fire is solid (what a useful term) and while I agree with most of what you say regardless, I would definately add the contrary opinion that I definately don't think it is 'invaluable'.....mostly because I reckon it adds nothing new to death metal. Then again....little does!

I don't think it came off rather harsh. You just sounded confident, as did I. I guess the thing that is unarguably invaluable is constructive criticism. If I'm never challenged, then I'll have a more difficult time becoming a level-headed reviewer. Sometimes, however, differences of opinion are completely natural. I think we can both agree that "Serenity in Fire" is a good album. Enough said.

this album kicks ass. first album of theirs I've heard. Any recommendations to other works by Kataklysm?

Worried for a second though, I thought you were gonna say they were musically similar to Nile. They are in ways but I doubt all Nile fans would be fans of Kataklysm as well. They are definately more accessible than Nile... anyhow, enough said, great album

StarsRamses said:
this album kicks ass. first album of theirs I've heard. Any recommendations to other works by Kataklysm?

Worried for a second though, I thought you were gonna say they were musically similar to Nile. They are in ways but I doubt all Nile fans would be fans of Kataklysm as well. They are definately more accessible than Nile... anyhow, enough said, great album

Definitely pick up "Shadows and Dust", which is everything this album is and much more. Their real old stuff like "Sorcery" is much rawer, more brutal and grinding.