Kataklysm - In the Arms of Retribution (2006)

MadeInNewJersey

nursing my wounds
Apr 15, 2002
The Ridge
www.discogs.com
Hell, why not. Been ages since I wrote a review. :D

Kataklysm - In the Arms of Retribution

Label: Nuclear Blast
Release date: February 20, 2006
www.kataklysm.net

s402005.jpg

Tracklisting:
1. Like Angels Weeping (In The Dark)
2. Let Them Burn
3. Crippled And Broken
4. To Reign Again
5. It Turns To Rust
6. Open Scars
7. Temptations Nest
8. In Words Of Desperation
9. The Road To Devastation

At this point, they're probably not going to surprise you with their extremely catchy, riff-driven yet still brutal death metal. Kataklysm is a machine, churning out quality release after quality release, especially starting down the path they began with "Epic..."

2006's upcoming release shows the band once again in fine form, and Jean-Francois's potent writing & even more potent work with the guitar remind you that yes, you're indeed listening to a fine platter of "da Nordern Hyperblast, eh?" Original dumming legend Max Duhamel is back in the fold, and the band sounds inspired for this to be the case, dishing out 9 songs of a better overall consistency than "Serenity" (though still not as good as their pinnacle "Shadows & Dust" LP). Crushing riff monsters like "To Reign Again" and "Open Scars" immediately stand with anything this foursome has released to date; and further listens reveal an absolutely punishing record.

Any Kataklysm review would be remiss without mentioning the spot-on perfect vocals of Maurizio Iacono. If there was any doubt that he has vaulted himself to the uppermost echelon of death metal growlers, there isn't anymore. His diction, pitch and power are all absolutely perfect, one of the few death metal albums where you don't even need the lyric sheet to understand every single lyric. Fucking great. And Stephane Barbe's bass is its typically spectacular self, no surprises there. What an excellent fucking album, it's safe to say I will be purchasing this the moment it comes out.

Well done, another gem Kataklysm.

8.5/10

I bought that cd yesterday and it's actually my first Kataclysm cd. Pretty rocking :headbang: Good handbangin' n drinkin' stuff.

This album kicks major ass. The next day i went out and bought Epic, Shadows and Dust and Serenity In Fire. These guys rock. Let THem Burn and To Reign Again are my faves.