Katatonia - not so catatonic anymore...

Sadguru said:
That's the thing though, I think some of their new stuff definitely DON'T sound like Katatonia (their albums prior to VE), at all. (Ghost of the Sun and Complicity for exemple).

what they sound like then??? man, stop shitting, these guys make the music so personal, and write abput what they think, to please their feelings not yours...got it?

Catatonia

(Another definition...) An abnormal condition variously characterized by stupor, stereotypy, mania, and either rigidity or extreme flexibility of the limbs. It is most often associated with schizophrenia.

(Yet another definition...) extreme tonus; muscular rigidity; a common symptom in catatonic schizophrenia 2: a form of schizophrenia characterized by a tendency to remain in a fixed stuporous state for long periods; the catatonia may give way to short periods of extreme excitement.

I think that perhaps the name may seem fitting, taking these definitions in mind.

as for the evolution of Katatonia.....

dont you think it is good to be able to change/grow up.....

lyrically when Jonas wrote most of those very deep personal sad lyrics he was so fucking young...many of us remember the troubles of being young.....the passion involved in those times of sadness.....he was writing from that....and as we have all grown up those times become the past.....and have already been written about....and many of those issues have been dealt with.....so I say let that go.....it IS the past........

and musically as well.......

when they wrote the first alblums they were novice musicians......and anyone who is a musician here should get the way things are done then.....song structure and technicality are not the best....but because of the newness and passion of those early days it can be very beautiful at times.......there is something about the early songs I wrote that still blow me away when I listen to them today.....but the later things I wrote are much better......in so many ways...

Katatonia isnt stuck.....MOST bands get stuck in one way of writing......I love DO....but if Katatonia wrote another alblum like DO I think we can assume it wouldnt be as good as DO because they arent there anymore......DO is special because of where Jonas and Anders were at that moment......they are not there anymore....thankfully....

I am really happy to have been around through the evolution of Katatonia.......I grew up with them.....with their music.....I went through life with it.....and I lived a shitty life.....I have grown through all the DO times....so if anyone here is stuck on the island of DO....or DODS....or LFDGD....or BMD....I am sorry for you.....time to move on and grow up.....we have those memories of those times....and that is a beautiful thing.....but I dont feel the need to relive them again......and I dont think katatonia needs to revisit them again either........we have nostalgia....Im sure they do too.....I know they are proud of those alblums.....as I am proud to have lived with them through their music....

I say evolve Katatonia.....and never stop.....when we stop evolving is when we begin to die....

Reece

Deliverance6 said:
as for the evolution of Katatonia.....

dont you think it is good to be able to change/grow up.....

lyrically when Jonas wrote most of those very deep personal sad lyrics he was so fucking young...many of us remember the troubles of being young.....the passion involved in those times of sadness.....he was writing from that....and as we have all grown up those times become the past.....and have already been written about....and many of those issues have been dealt with.....so I say let that go.....it IS the past........

exactly, jonas used to write about internal conflicts, personal things, and thats why they hitted so close to us who get along with them, because we got identified with them, as we grow we all pay more attention to the rotten world more then to ourselves, i see now jonas writing about the world, the conflicts and how society has fuckin gone down, how ambition has ruled the world and how sad things are nowadays, those lyrics are very personal too, but you got to underastand it.

uhm...i dont want them to be stuck in a single way of writing, but , IMO, this lasr TGCD is their worst album to date...not a bad record, but their least good, IMO. and in some parts it even bores me. Sigh

Cliche Kid said:
One of their friends died in a car crash and his name is some how linked to katatonia...(kata or something??)...they named themselves after him...it had nothing to do with a katatonic sound or emotion. Can't remember the particulars of it...

The dudes right...search the board and you will find it...

Thanks for the info... if anyone else has any more specifics on this i'm definitly interested...

As far as the new album goes, it's impossible to argue that they definitly aren't making the same kind of music they used to, but it definitly wasn't a suprise to me. I guess I feel like this is the direction VE was heading. I'll definitly be going back to their old stuff in the future, but their new stuff is definitly amazing too. As long as their music doesn't start making me smile when i hear it... that might be scary.

Migs said:
uhm...i dont want them to be stuck in a single way of writing, but , IMO, this lasr TGCD is their worst album to date...not a bad record, but their least good, IMO. and in some parts it even bores me. Sigh

exactly, that friend of theirs, died of an brain sickness, some kind of epilepsy attack or something like that, peiple used to call that attacks "dance", was on december, so they released their first album titled "dance of semember souls" with a song dedicated to him "dancing december".not sure of my words, but very close to it, check the board and look fot the thread.