Katatonia Progressive?

Katatonia Progressive?

• Yes

Votes: 22 64.7%
  • No

Votes: 12 35.3%

• Total voters
....and all this is why I hate when I get asked what genre so and so is....good music should be hard to classify and not fit easily into pigeon-holed groups. But I don't really view Katatonia as "prog," but I also don't know how to classify them either. I just like them.:headbang:

here's another fun fact! Im pretty sure that katatonia are the only band who have had a member featured on an Ayreon album and are not on progarchives. THAT IS BS. (this is unconfirmed but im going to listen to a lot of ayreon today)

Katatonia = innovative band

Progressive music used to be innovative music, now it seldom is. To me typical progressive music is in general: Long songs, several soundscapes in one song, often concept albums. Could mention instruments..but that would be way too old school and narrow sighted. And no, I haven't read any of the other comments..I usually do. Just this time I was 100% sure...

But no, I don't in any way concider Katatonia progressive..just innovative and brilliant. Keeping it tight and interesting throughout...
One or two progish inspired songs don't make a band progressive. That would make for example Cradle Of Filth waay more progressive...

If you don't like how short genre names don't adequately describe a band but you want to tell your friends about said band, you could always try like...using more than 5 words or less. I need a good paragraph to come anywhere close to a description that might do Opeth or DsO justice, and I wouldn't even dare try to verbalize Tool.

i hardly think Katatonia is Progressive or Prog (which by the way, is the same thing). Prog to me are Steve Wilson early stuff, Pink Floyd, even some Dream Theater... none of this sounds like Katatonia.

i hardly think Katatonia is Progressive or Prog (which by the way, is the same thing). Prog to me are Steve Wilson early stuff, Pink Floyd, even some Dream Theater... none of this sounds like Katatonia.

Prog isn't about how a band sounds, but rather certain musical characteristics

Just because Katatonia don't sound like DT or early PT or floyd doesn't mean they can't be progressive.

In the literal sense of the word, yes, their music progresses and evolves, in genre terms they are definitely not 'prog'.

My 2 cents..

Yep.

As for PT their early stuff had psychedelic elements that they lost over time, but they're still very much a prog band. Their mid stuff was treading in a more pop rock direction, and their newer stuff had metal influences. However all extremely varied albums. In fact In Absentia is one of the most eclectic albums I can think of off the top of my head. Also should mention that much like The Sky Moves Sideways, their last two have been especially progressive in structure as a whole.

It seems like prog to most of you is "its is or it isn't. NO GREY." when lots of things are a little bit progressive and very progressive. if you've got ears, its pretty obvious that Katatonia don't and arn't trying to sound like Dream theater, Pink Floyd, Kansas, or any other that have the prog stamp permenantly placed on them. Katatonia, escpecially older and, as they say, their newest has more progressive elements. is that enough to get them on the archives? for me, yes. for many of you, perhapes when we hear this next album, and some will not get past the point of "if it doesn't sound like pink floyd, its not prog." but there is no need to compare them to FAR more progressive bands to argue that they are not progressive.

Yep.

As for PT their early stuff had psychedelic elements that they lost over time, but they're still very much a prog band. Their mid stuff was treading in a more pop rock direction, and their newer stuff had metal influences. However all extremely varied albums. In fact In Absentia is one of the most eclectic albums I can think of off the top of my head. Also should mention that much like The Sky Moves Sideways, their last two have been especially progressive in structure as a whole.

agreed.

If anything, PT is more prog now than they were in the early days