KATATONIA: The Fall Of Hearts

KingsGene

God of Thunder
Apr 1, 2005
near KC
www.kingsofthenight.com
KATATONIA ANNOUNCE NEW STUDIO ALBUM DETAILS, NEW BAND LINEUP; VIDEO

"...Katatonia, the Swedish purveyors of dark progressive rock/metal, have revealed details of their eagerly awaited 10th studio album. The new album, entitled The Fall Of Hearts, is set for release on May 20th through their long-time home of Peaceville Records....

Katatonia comment on The Fall Of Hearts: "This album is probably everything we unknowingly ever dreamed of to release. It's a bleak but adventurous journey through our elements, we haven't held back, we have pushed to get forward and backward in the ever spiralling night of our musical legacy."

More details of The Fall Of Hearts will be released shortly...."

katatonia1march.jpg

I disagree with above post. This album is not very strong. Individual performances are great but the songs themselves are quite boring. No vocal hooks, no appealing instrumentation. Basically sounds like the band just started jamming in a high end studio, recorded the output, and this is the result. I miss the era of TGCD.

I disagree with above post. This album is not very strong. Individual performances are great but the songs themselves are quite boring. No vocal hooks, no appealing instrumentation. Basically sounds like the band just started jamming in a high end studio, recorded the output, and this is the result. I miss the era of TGCD.

Disagree, this album is full of great 'hooks' and instrumentation. Instrumentally its easily their most progressive album. Nothing boring about this album.

And I'm not sure what you mean by the TGCD era comment. To me this is clearly part of that era, which is the band's prog era which started with TGCD.

TGCD is a very cold album. Very depressing yet slightly more coherent and cohesive than some of the earlier albums.. Indeed this theme really started with LFDGD and continued up to and including DEK, but I don't get this feeling at all with the new record. To me something is missing. As far as any hooks go, I challenge you to find anything close to "My Twin," for example, on TFOH.

TGCD is a very cold album. Very depressing yet slightly more coherent and cohesive than some of the earlier albums.. Indeed this theme really started with LFDGD and continued up to and including DEK, but I don't get this feeling at all with the new record. To me something is missing. As far as any hooks go, I challenge you to find anything close to "My Twin," for example, on TFOH.

Again I don't agree at all. Not sure how TGCD is more cohesive than Viva Emptiness. That's front to back their tightest album. And calling TGCD more depressive and cold than their previous album is also a head scratcher for me. You need to go back and listen to their older stuff. Nothing they released in 20 years is cold or anguished as Dance of December Souls and Brave Murder Day. I think we are both coming from two very different places when listening to Katatonia.

We clearly are. I didn't say TGCD was more cohesive than VE. I said it was more cohesive than "some of the earlier albums." VE is a great record though truth be told I do enjoy TGCD more.

I'm not a big fan of early albums by this band. It's clear that they were trying to find their sound. I find the first three records stuffed with lots of filler.

Last edited: