Katatonia

Draconian Demon

Spirit In The Mist
Dec 11, 2002
Michigan, USA
pub37.ezboard.com
I have a question about this band. Today I bought their album Dance Of December Souls and it is amazing. This is my first Katatonia purchase, and naturally, after hearing this, I want to get more. Does all Katatonia material sound like this?

I would recommend you "Brave Murder Day" and "Sounds of Decay". The vocals on those are done by Mikael Akerfeldt. Also you should try the band "October Tide", which is a side project from two members of Katatonia. The later Katatonia stuff are great too, but they only have clean vocals...

Katatonia changed formats at some point in their career. You've heard one of the pre-Discouraged Ones albums, which are growled, around-10-minute-long atmospheric masterpieces. They changed to more rigid structure and shorter song lengths after that, but for some strange reason they're still amazing. Katatonia has shattered my preconception that any band who makes short songs with simple structure must be bad.

For the record, Discouraged Ones, Tonight's Decision, and Last Fair Deal Gone Down are the "new" Katatonia albums. There's plenty more old albums, but I haven't got around to purchasing them yet.

Their last album, "Last Fair Deal Gone Down" is my favorite... and it's completely different from the great "Dance of December Souls".

If you like Dance of December Souls from Katatonia, also check out:

Brave Murder Day (the ultimate doom metal album!)
For Funerals to Come
Sounds of Decay

Also check out Anathema - Serenades for a great doom/death album.

NP: Eternity X - The Edge

October Tide has two cd's. The first, "Rain without end" is MUCH better than the second, "Grey Dawn" Renske does the vox on Rain, but on Grey Down they got that dude from A Canorous Quintet, I forget his name. Martinson?? <shrug> Anyhow if you can find Rain Without End, I'm sure you'll love it.