Katy Perry´s ET Metal Cover (TSE 808+Legion+Lecab+BOD+Metal Machine)

Jotun25

Apr 27, 2010
Sevilla, Spain
www.jotunstudio.es
Hi!

First of all, let me tell you that you may not be able to watch the video I will post, due to copyright issues with EMI (I don´t know if it´s due to covering Perry´s song or due to using her voice in the cover...) so I will also post the dl link. If you live in countries such as EEUU, UK, France, Portugal, Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Australia or Canada you should be able to watch it.

This time I didn´t use my POD XT Live, but switched to LePou´s Legion and Lecab and TSE´s 808 and BOD. And I´ve got to say that I love the way those soft amps sound. And they´re free!! Amazing...

Also changed the snare/bass drums to EZD´s Metalhead´s (cymbals are still Metal Foundry)

Enough talking!!

The video:

And the Dropbox link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19372669/Leo Jotun - ET (Kate Perry cover).mp3

Hope you like it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Deofig, glad you liked it and that you think it fits well.

Nikolas, you´re right. I used a compressor and then a limiter in the mastering (and also several volumes boost)...I shouldn´t have pushed so much the compressor. What do you think I should do about it?

Thanks both for listening to it and sharing your thoughts.

Hey man! I'm glad you sensed the same feeling with this song as I did... IT NEEDED SOME BALLS!:headbang:

Though I really felt that the guitar's lacked a bit of harmonic content. I don't know if you were going for a dark guitar sound there, but IMO it needs a tiny bit extra mids to compliment the vocals Katy Perry did on this song. Right now there's this gap between the vocal and the underlying guitar part. (that kicks mayor bunghole BTW!)

I'm really digging the sound of the Metalhead expansion, as for the total drum sound in this clip. What have you done with it processing wise?

As for the song goes, I like the way you ended up with a different chord structure for the song in total. Gives it a different taste throughout the whole song :D I've recorded my take on this a while ago, the only thing is is that I never found it good enough to put online. This nice mix of yours has really given me the urge to take a look at MY old mix!

Cheers man!:kickass:

This is awesome! I love Katy's voice so much, and you did a great job making the song sound convincing in that style. Please do more!

Hey, thanks a lot for your replies and I´m very glad you like it!

Jordyadfar90: I really like the pop feeling of a lot of songs (in fact, one of my favourite bands is Roxette, but I also like a lot of other pop stuff (new and classic): Gaga, Perry, Elton John, Black (I´m making a cover of Everything´s Coming Up Roses), and a lot more) but I also love metal, so I tried to put these two worlds together, and I think this song fits the mix a lot.

Maybe the guitar sound could be tweaked a little, as it was my first time recording with amp simulator software (TSE 808+Legion+Lecab+GuitarHack) so I still have to touch some parameters.

The drums are Metal Machine expansion (not Metalheads) for snare, bass drum, toms (the weakest part in the song) and room and cymbals from Metal Foundry. The processing is quite "complex" as I tend to adjust every mic a lot, but basically I eq, compress and apply reverb to all of them. I also add Sonic Maximizer for snare and bass drums, and these two are taken to another bus where I compress them again, and add some extra reverb. Also, adjusting volumes and eq the blend of the mics is quite essential.

Regarding the chords, I wanted to forget what I heard from other covers, and also didn´t listened to the original at all, so I could come up with some personal stuff.

I´m glad I gave you a little "push" to finish your cover. Hope it works out well! Cheers!!

LewsTherin006: Thanks a lot, man!! I´m very glad that you liked it, and I appreciate your words since it´s a song that has been covered by a lot of people.

M-1000: Glad you liked it so much. I also think Katy has a very beautiful voice (though overprocessed...). I´ll try to do some covers this way (usually I record everything, including voice). Do you have any suggestion? I was thinking of doing Rolling In The Deep by Adelle, since my girlfriend likes her a lot, and got a wonderful voice track of it, though Set Fire To The Rain is also a good candidate.

Thanks a lot and glad you guys liked the cover.