Keeping the drums punchy and clear

outbreak525

Jun 15, 2010
Currently self-producing my own band.
Drums sound awesome as shit, and my drummer loves them but every time once we add vocals (screams) the drums lose that clarity and punchiness.

Guitars (distorted) are situated at around 2400hz, so I have the vocals cut pretty hard at 2400 and boosted at 4800.

I also have the vocals hi passed at 100.

Should I move the hi pass to 200 on the vocals or will I lose some quality low end?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13291790/Gequinox Jan 08 12.mp3

^ Old, unmastered clip. I don't have the time to bounce right now so you're gonna have to deal with the fact that the vocals ARE a bit loud in that mix. I've since turned them down, but given the fact that the problem is with the vocals clouding up the drums I figure the vocals being loud would help you guys pick out the problem.

Thanks.

I routinely hi-pass all my screamed vocals (both high/fry and low/growl) somewhere between 150-200k... I actually find that the lower the vocal, the higher I set the hi-pass, as I feel like it actually keeps it more clear by removing some lowend mud.

That definitely makes sense. I've moved my hi-pass to 200hz on the vocals.
Are there any other tips/tricks for clarity I should know about?

Use your headroom. I found that slamming the master comp a little harder gives an illusion of punchiness if the vocals set right. But my way is kind of lazy.

As everyone's said man, its all in subtractive EQ and making space in the mix. Chances are your drums have a lot of content where the vocal is and thus your kick and snare are suffering. Also watch that 5 minutes to a better mix series, its all great!

High pass as far as you can on all instruments. With vocals, it's iffy where that is, but just high pass until the voice thins out. There's no concrete amount. Any low end that isn't necessary needs to go. While I can't hear the clip right now, try to find what instruments are being clouded up, and find the frequency that it hangs out at. Then cut it from the vocals, and maybe boost it in the instrument. Sometimes that isn't necessary though. The vocals may be hanging out where the drums are, and as such need to be "moved".

I routinely hi-pass all my screamed vocals (both high/fry and low/growl) somewhere between 150-200k... I actually find that the lower the vocal, the higher I set the hi-pass, as I feel like it actually keeps it more clear by removing some lowend mud.

That's a bit high.. :Spin:

Maybe slightly OT, but sometimes a small room, ambience or a very short stereo-delay tucked behind the vocals (or whatever needs it) helps to separate them a bit.
Also maybe try to lower the vocal level? I'm listening through some very crappy pc-speakers but it seems like the vocals are a bit louder than need be. Wouldn't probably hurt to lift OH's/room also or add some top end with eq?