Kemper Profiling amp - Peavey 6505 profile

Splat88

Jan 31, 2006
Vegas
Hi gents. Here's my first profile that I have done with my new KPA. I used my Peavey 6505 into a Marshall 1960AV cabinet loaded in an X pattern with V30 and T75 speakers. For what its worth, the V30s are standard, not the custom Marshall V30s that come with the 1960AV cab. I miced the bottom left V30 speaker with a single Sm57 1 inch from the grill where the cap meets the cone. I've made a few dozen profiles with other mic placements and the other speakers, but its so hard to tell what sounds good and what doesn't after a full day of profiling.

At any rate, here's the one profile that I think sounds good, at least in my mixes. I tried a lot of other profiles that sound great solo'd and are a blast to play on, but fitting them into a mix has proved to be a challenge for me. Anyway, I hope some of you guys get some use out of this. I'd love to hear some results if anybody does anything productive with it.

Here's a test mix. All guitar tracks are the Kemper and the bass is my trusty PODx3. I can't get a better bass tone from anything else yet, including the Kemper. Guitars are an ESP with a Dimarzio DActivator in the bridge, and the other is an EMG 81/85 loaded Ibanez S.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/868701/071413M.mp3

And here's the profile
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/868701/Splat88 6505 B8 - 2013-07-12 16-50-43.kipr

EDIT:

Here's more of the song with the 6505 10.4.7.10.5 orofile that's also posted just below. I just changed the pre EQ bass boost in the profile to 100HZ instead of 50 or whatever its originally at.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/868701/Kemper test2.mp3

Here's 3 additional profiles with a slightly different mic setup, slightly closer to the center and less bass heavy. The profile name is the EQ setting used on the 6505. For example, the patch "6505 10-4-7-10-5" means Bass 10, Mid 4, Treble 7, Resonance 10, Presence 5. The gain is always set to 5 on all my profiles and the master volume is at 2. Enjoy!
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/868701/6505 10-4-7-10-5 - 2013-07-13 18-01-56.kipr
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/868701/6505 7-3-5-7-8 - 2013-07-13 18-02-21.kipr
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/868701/6505 9-3-5-10-9 - 2013-07-13 18-02-59.kipr

This sounds fucking awesome, can't wait to try the profile out when I'm back home.

You should see how the KPA does with profiling your POD bass tone; would be nice to have them in the same box if nothing else!

This sounds fucking awesome, can't wait to try the profile out when I'm back home.

You should see how the KPA does with profiling your POD bass tone; would be nice to have them in the same box if nothing else!

Thanks, dude! You know, I never thought about profiling the POD Bass tone. I'm going to try that out. A lot of that tone is the bass though. Its a Soundgear with active eq and all sorts of tone shaping options. My P Bass through that patch sounds like complete unusable ass.

That's a great profile, thanks for sharing. What are your impressions of the kemper so far?

I also still use my podXt for a clean tone that I wasn't able to replicate with the kemper. Btw, I've tried profiling the bigbottom amp from pod but didn't really sound that good.

update: after playing around with it some more I must say the best part of this profile is the cab (although it's a little bass heavy). I use it on my other profiles and it sounds awesome. I'm in the process of mixing my bands album right now so it's perfect timing, I'm curious how it will fit in a mix.

That's a great profile, thanks for sharing. What are your impressions of the kemper so far?

I also still use my podXt for a clean tone that I wasn't able to replicate with the kemper. Btw, I've tried profiling the bigbottom amp from pod but didn't really sound that good.

Dude, to say that I love it is a massive understatement. Yes, its expensive, but you get what you pay for. I've always kind of drooled over getting an AxeFx one day, but nothing ever sparked a fire under my rear end to actually purchase anything that expensive until I started researching the KPA. I always liked the tones I got out of my own miced amps, but actually recorded them is near impossible since I only get to work on music late at night. So naturally the KPA seemed right up my alley. I am so over the Curve EQ matching bullshit that I used to do heavily, trying to capture something that doesn't really exist. Some riffs translate well, but then others don't at all. What I'm noticing about the KPA is that it is very consistent, despite the type of riff you're doing, whether is open chords, dissonant material, palm mutes, etc. I do notice a slight misrepresentation of the extreme lows with the Kemper and I know a lot of people are talking about that. In this profile, I've got a pre EQ low boost to compensate for that which seems to work very nicely with my guitars. But most importantly, the FEEL of the amp is definitely there. I day dream about the damn thing all day at work. Best purchase in years.

That's awesome, I'm glad it worked out so good for you. Too bad we probably never hear it in a complete full length march hare album....:danceboy:

Rimshot please! Yeah, you're totally right, I'm the biggest flake with that shitty album. On second thought, perhaps its fate. The Kemper stars needed to be aligned before the album release.

man killer sounding clip!!! thanks for sharing the profile!!!
Oh coming from a ultra and II user ...you ain't missing much IMO ...kemper does it much better

The great Ermz has spoken! Dammit, I know, I know. I've been really bad about the album. I have no excuse, but it is hard to focus and work when you've got all those flashing buttons and knobs on the Kemper right there at you're disposal.

^ Great guitar sound Matt. What did you use in the soundclip for the drums? Man those hit hats and the ride sound really great.

Thanks dude! I've always been lingering, just not as active, but I hope that will change here soon....

FYI, I added three more profiles to the main post if you want to check them out. Same speaker, just moved the mic a little closer to the cap and toyed with some different settings on the amp. A little less bassy heavy than the first, although the first is still my personal favorite.

Thanks dude. Drums are real drums in this track. For mixing them, I pretty much follow Ermz's guide to mixing to a T. Kick is mostly triggered sound. I used nothing more than one SSL channel strip for EQ and compression for each piece and then parallel compressed the entire kit including OHs (unlike Ermz's mixing guide) with a Waves RCL compressor. Then the whole drum buss gets a little Decapitator saturation and Nebula Tape Saturation and I call it a day. I did not use one instance of G-Clip in the entire session like I usually go crazy with to get the snare LOUD but low peaking. The saturation took care of that.