Kemper Profiling amp - Peavey 6505 profile

Thanks dude. Drums are real drums in this track. For mixing them, I pretty much follow Ermz's guide to mixing to a T. Kick is mostly triggered sound. I used nothing more than one SSL channel strip for EQ and compression for each piece and then parallel compressed the entire kit including OHs (unlike Ermz's mixing guide) with a Waves RCL compressor. Then the whole drum buss gets a little Decapitator saturation and Nebula Tape Saturation and I call it a day. I did not use one instance of G-Clip in the entire session like I usually go crazy with to get the snare LOUD but low peaking. The saturation took care of that.

WOW! Thanks for the update! It's all sounding great! Keep up the amazing work, and don't be a stranger! :)

Thanks dude. Drums are real drums in this track. For mixing them, I pretty much follow Ermz's guide to mixing to a T. Kick is mostly triggered sound. I used nothing more than one SSL channel strip for EQ and compression for each piece and then parallel compressed the entire kit including OHs (unlike Ermz's mixing guide) with a Waves RCL compressor. Then the whole drum buss gets a little Decapitator saturation and Nebula Tape Saturation and I call it a day. I did not use one instance of G-Clip in the entire session like I usually go crazy with to get the snare LOUD but low peaking. The saturation took care of that.

:worship:. It's funny how circular these things can be. I recall years back being really impressed by what you were doing in your mixes, using some very basic equipment and samples.

I take it you scaled back on using console saturation in your mixing? I'm only listening on headphones, but it doesn't sound like there's any of that VCC/NLS thing going on?

When it comes to the album, provided you do ever finalize the tracks, let me know if you want some outboard printing done.

:worship:. It's funny how circular these things can be. I recall years back being really impressed by what you were doing in your mixes, using some very basic equipment and samples.

I take it you scaled back on using console saturation in your mixing? I'm only listening on headphones, but it doesn't sound like there's any of that VCC/NLS thing going on?

When it comes to the album, provided you do ever finalize the tracks, let me know if you want some outboard printing done.

Yeah, I've completely scaled back. Less is more, but only if you do it right, and I hope I'm doing something right. I actually do have Waves NLS Nevo running on the output bus. I'm gain staging at -18dbfs. I've looked and looked but I can't figure out what NLS is calibrated at. Perhaps the mix isn't hitting the plug hard enough. I have no idea.

And Ermz, I would love to hire you to master the finished product when I've got it done.

Can't speak for NLS, but on VCC the gain staging is critical. You can really change the sound of your mix by hitting it hard.

That's really great to hear about the master, but I meant more in the sense of printing lead vocal tracks through outboard EQ, compression etc. Just dry, so that you can manipulate them with FX and automation later, but half the balancing and mixing is already done on account of the outboard processing chain. Just an idea anyway.

Oh, I've got you now. That's sounds ridiculously awesome, however, I fear it would just be one more thing to tinker with and sidetracking me further, and we all know that once I see a new shiny ball, I fixate on said ball and get nothing done!

Thanks, dude! You know, I never thought about profiling the POD Bass tone. I'm going to try that out. A lot of that tone is the bass though. Its a Soundgear with active eq and all sorts of tone shaping options. My P Bass through that patch sounds like complete unusable ass.

Great sound clip! There are several bass profiles from various bass amps and other gear uploaded on the kemper rig exhange that are worth trying.
http://www.kemper-amps.com/sharerigs
search for "bass" and five profile pages pops up.

^Thanks man. I've tried most of those. There's a few a really like, but its going to take time to get them to fit into a mix like that POD tone I've got now.

Nice sounds! I like both of them. Makes me want to get the Kemper. I've always liked the idea that they do NOT rely on a boosted low frequency curve to warm up the sounds because usually you want to make room for the bass. The second seemed to do that more.

Oh I see you just updated the mix...that one sounds awesome. You can hear the tubes reacting more or something hehe. Killer. I think that's my favorite. Best one. The dual panned harmony part is perfectly balanced. Guitars are really going with the mix, which is GREAT. Can't wait to hear more.