Keyboard / Vocals Help

Fourth Sky

New Metal Member
Jun 2, 2007
I play the keyboard, I have been playing for about 2 months now. I really want to play stuff like dragonforce. (yes yes I know, it's stupidly insane but set your goals high, right?) I also am into singing, although I'm not that good, but I heard somewhere you can work on you singing voice and make it better.

I like power metal the best, so going in that direction would be the best, but I'm also into screaming (a little).

So, if you have any help for either of those I would be very grateful. Any songs I should learn/sing. Any techniques I should know, etc...

thanks in advance

i love power metal, in most of the vacalists learn to project their selves. when singing picture that theres a long golden string coming from your voice, and you can see every note, try to imagine that there is a big funnel pointing from ur head in the direction ur singging. this sounds stupid but it worked for me.

u really can't expect that u already can play dragonforce. that is insane, like u said. if u start with something easy, example some ballads, slow, which have keys in it. best way to practice your fingers is scales, all. if u can play one song slowly, u can later fast also. it is wrong to play right away fast. that is my opinion;)

Well, DragonForce is hard, but how well you play depends on how much you practice. If you learn any song, regardless of how fast it is, slowly, and gradually increase the tempo until you reach the actual speed, you shouldn't have any trouble playing it in a couple of months.

Try learning classical pieces and basic scales so you have something that you can work on to speed up your fingers. Also, someone mentioned playing ballads which is a good idea. Sonata Arctica in my opinion has more impressive keyboard work, and also has good ballads that you could start with. Also, look into some Neo-Classical Metal or learn guitar riffs and solos to play on the keyboard.

and i dont recomended sonata for start cos they almost in any song have fasts solos. but u can try my selene, i learn that one. rather
practice scales like i said before, or some exercises. u wont acomplish anything if u start with fastest..and sry abt my spelling hehe ;)

I dont think dragonforce is really hard at all to play, particularly if you are principally a pianist as the keys are so light on a nonweighted keyboard, its easy to whizz around.

just practise your scales, and gradually increase the speed.

Sonata arctica solos are harder as there not so random and have different rhythms.

Off Topic...

seeing as you're all keyboardists...

Do you all learn your songs by ear or get tabs/music/MIDI from some unbeknownst source?

I've gone through pretty well everything at SymphonyX.com and Dreamtheater.net

With the right keyboard, you wouldn't even have to worry about being able to sing or play well. You could have the keyboard play a pre-arranged score, and also use it to correct the pitch your voice, while singing into a built-in microphone.

I don't very many people would actually want to do this though, because it isn't very tr00. If you seriously plan to have power metal vocals though, then vocal training is probably the only reliable method of learning how to sing.

As far as learning to play keyboard, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Most metal keyboards are fairly easy, especially in comparison to classical piano or ragtime. You first intuition is that it's going to be hard simply because of how fast it is, but you can built up your speed in no time.
I dont think dragonforce is really hard at all to play, particularly if you are principally a pianist as the keys are so light on a nonweighted keyboard, its easy to whizz around.

just practise your scales, and gradually increase the speed.

Sonata arctica solos are harder as there not so random and have different rhythms.
Are you serious? My keyboard is non-weighted, and I think it's easier and more comfortable to play a piano with weighted keys.
Off Topic...

seeing as you're all keyboardists...

Do you all learn your songs by ear or get tabs/music/MIDI from some unbeknownst source?

I've gone through pretty well everything at SymphonyX.com and Dreamtheater.net
There are a lot of reliable tabs for both Guitar Pro and for TabIt. Either or these programs can be used to export MIDI, so that you can read the sheet music via notation software such as Finale or Sibellius. Alternatively, you can do what I did, and buy a keyboard with lit keys, play your MIDIs through the keyboard, and follow the lights.