Vocals...uhhhhh..what??

Leper_/-\ffinity

Child of The Grave
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
Ok, I play guitar in a metal band, we play almost any kind of metal, but mostly a blend of different sounds. So I was gonna try to be the vocalist, and I can sing and play many tunes, but when it comes to singing, I can really only sing clean stuff. Sorta like Opeth, just without any growling, so how would I sing to heavy parts of songs???? Wouldn't the clean singing take away the heaviness??? I don't want to do an angry clean singing, but what other alternatives do I have. If there is no solution to this problem, can someone give me a quick, but knowledgeable lesson in growling?? How do you do it?? I can do it at quiet levels, like not screaming or anything, but like at talking voice levels, so how do you develop your growl?? Do you have to force it out by putting like pressure on your stomach???? Or if anyone knows a site that has this explained. Thanks.

Are you the only one in the band who can sing? You could always share the duties and let the drummer or bass player do the growls. Not the only solution, but a solution none the less!

(when I do growls while pc recording, I cheat. The good ol' pitch shifter is my best friend!!)

Silverhaze said:
Are you the only one in the band who can sing? You could always share the duties and let the drummer or bass player do the growls. Not the only solution, but a solution none the less!

(when I do growls while pc recording, I cheat. The good ol' pitch shifter is my best friend!!)
Im pretty much the only one in the band who can sing, soooo...and I don't plan on using a pitch shifter....anyone else????

I don't know too much about growling.. but I just posted something in the "need help with drum/vocals" thread about what I think with regard to vocals.