Death vocals?? how???

CONCLAVE OBSCURUM

untruly evil
Dec 19, 2002
Mexico
www.gardenian.8m.com
I've just started a death metal band, and I WAS singing, when sudenly y spited some blood :cry: ... my "gutural" roar comes all from the throath and i think i finally screw it...

So.. how can i make the death vocals??? Vocals like opeth, or gardenian... how do this guys can sing like that?

Just grow a pair. I could sing death style all day long, it does nothing to my throat. You said gutural so use your gut. singing yelling growling isnt all throat.

Dude becareful with that shit:eek: you can get seriously hurt doing it that way:) as Darthlardo said try to sing from your gut, the less you use your throat the better. Don't try to do a scream from hell, start slow without using your throat. Check this thread out for more info.

Growl

Btw I also speak spanish so if you need any more help just ask :)

Ok.. let's see if you can help me in spanish:
Primero no podia cantar nada en death metal, y poco a poco empece a mejorar la voz hasta alcanzar una muy buena voz death metal. Pero hace poco escupi sangre. Apesar de esto, nunca sentí dolor y no entiendo como cantar "with the gut".

Oh ya veo, me imagino que tenías que estar cantando bien intenso cuando eso pasó. Lo de cantar del ''gut'' quiere decir cantar sin usar tanto las cuerdas vocales (o la garganta) es como buscar de bien adentro hacia afuera. Para cantar puedes usar la garganta pero tienes que mantenerlo a un mínimo por que puedes joderte la garganta haciendolo jeje:p si no entiendes bien como hacerlo te recomiendo que empiezes suave, no trates de hacerlo bien desde el principio y empieza a cantar usando tu garganta lo menos posible. Con un poco de práctica te va a salir todo bien :)

Oh y otra cosa, cuando empiezes trata de hacerlo como si fueras un mounstruo, piensa como otros ''growlers'' hacen su trabajo y experimenta hasta que puedas hacer los vocals sin que te haga daño en la garganta.

No hay problema:cool: creo que no explique muy bien lo de ''desde adentro'' lo que quiero decir es que respires hondo y cuando empiezes a cantar lo hagas sin que te raspe mucho en la garganta :)

Originally posted by Eramaajarvi
I troed some thrashy vocals...but I guess Annihilator's foirst album wasn't a good way to start :lol:
Does the growling thing go also for thrashy vox?

There are some differences. When I sing in a more thrashy style I use my throat more and that helps me to get an aggresive more raspy sound. Take Russell Allen for instance when he does his aggresive vocals he uses his throat to get that sound (it won't be too hard on your voice) but when I do the more brutal growls (Nile, Decapitated,The Berzerker) I use my throat a lot less since it can damage my chords and subsequently my clean vocals :) practice a little and you'll see how it works :D

I was thinking about somethimng like Annihilator or Holy Moses. I don't wanna damage my voice, so that's why I'm asking for techniques. I would like to get a little thrashy tone on my non-classical vox but I don't want it to affect my classical technique, if you know what I mean.

:lol: just now I noticed the typpos in the previous post :p

The guy from opeth, thay guy has (for my taste), the best death metal vox, and one of the finest clean voices from all the metal scene... i wish i could have those kind of voices..

OH YEAH!! Dany Filth... that guy sounds like a pig. amazing voice

I was thinking about somethimng like Annihilator or Holy Moses. I don't wanna damage my voice, so that's why I'm asking for techniques. I would like to get a little thrashy tone on my non-classical vox but I don't want it to affect my classical technique, if you know what I mean.

:lol: just now I noticed the typpos in the previous post :p

I'm not into Annhilator or Holy Moses, i'm going to check out Annihalator. Btw do you know any other bands that have a similar vocal style? Dark Angel, Death Angel, Testament? are any of those bands similar to Annihilator?

dammit kid use your gut. your gut dammit!! Its so easy just act like you were kiling someone with a bat and make all of the sound come from your large intestine. Do you know how to make a deep burp, just do that but use your voice instead of spitting up yesterdays pizza all over your dog.
Growling is so easy, it comes natural just like shitting, burping, vomiting, and back flips, but just dont do all of those at the same time.
Just take all of that into consideration and everything in life will be great!

Originally posted by Ultimate_Symphony
I'm not into Annhilator or Holy Moses, i'm going to check out Annihalator. Btw do you know any other bands that have a similar vocal style? Dark Angel, Death Angel, Testament? are any of those bands similar to Annihilator?

:lol: I'm not into any of those bands... :p

Annihilator...try their first album, Alice In Hell. It's awesome. And the guy...he combines high screams with the thrashy tone, but still he doesn't sound like a pig (nor Dani Filth ;) )

Holy Moses has a female singer.

:lol: I'm not into any of those bands... :p

Annihilator...try their first album, Alice In Hell. It's awesome. And the guy...he combines high screams with the thrashy tone, but still he doesn't sound like a pig (nor Dani Filth ;) )

Holy Moses has a female singer.

:lol: It can't be!!!:lol: :p I'll check that album out.

Btw check any of those bands out, they are thrash gems I tell ya:D

Whit my gut???? You actually mean: With my intestine??? man, that's like singing with your asshole, what if i spit little pice of shit out of my mounth.....

Do you mean something like, singing with the throath? or.. maybe.. i don't know.. like Grrrrr or something like that.

It's just that i can't see how somebody can sing with the intestines.