Crackly Black Metal Vocals

DeathStench

New Metal Member
Jun 6, 2002
Visit site
I used to be able to sing black metal vocals similar to bathory,
but now My voice is all crackly (like in Immortal). Is there something I can do to make the vocals sound cleaner?

hey dude,
This is never something easy to tell a vocalist, but sometimes there is so much damage to the vocal chords that the voice may no longer be able to produce even sound. This is the result of many years of (sorry to say) poor singing technique, which is almost every metal singer/growler, so don't worry it's not just you. What has physically happened is that you've strained your vocal chords by singing too loud, and to try to repair themselves your body has formed scartissue on the vocal chord. Scartissue changes the vocal chords' tension and response to passing air. The only thing you can try is to not sing that way for a very long time, perhaps a year, or 5, 10, or never. Most of the time these wounds are irrepairable. Sorry to bring the bearer of bad news, but I've seen many vocalists go out this way. OR you can just be sick... haha if that's the case, be forwarned that this happens often with metal singers. Good luck with everything

My singer SWEARS on drinking Mountain Dew AND eating Chocolate before singing a show...

He says it helps him get the really low growls, coats his throat, and makes his throat feel great.

Before he did this, his throat would get sore and generally start to crack...

I dunno if it really works, but he lives by it... so your milage may vary...

Actually, drinking very acidic soda's such as that are bad for your throat. It's heavy in sugar which makes your throat dry out, mountain dew, orange juice, and lemonade, all create flem in your throat first so there'll be a few minutes of that, but in actuality, water is the best thing. Chocolate has nothing to do with that. By the time the body has digested it, the show's over

It has nothing to do with digestion. He swears by it. I think it's silly.... but then again most rituals any given vocalist goes through are weird.