Kill Switch

Vimana

Mar 2, 2007
I'm thinking of getting a Kill Switch to get the kind of effect in this intro.

But I don't know much about it, I couldn't find anything on google. Can anyone tell me about it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't really hear what you're on about, but From what I can hear it's nothing to do with a kill switch, most probably an effects pedal was used. A Kill switch is basically a gainbooster.

Stolen from Wikipedia:

Also, an electronic musical instrument, such as a guitar or bass guitar, may have a kill switch. It is used infrequently but most commonly in heavy metal music. Contrary to popular belief, a kill switch doesn't break the circuit but works by switching between the hot signal from a pick-up and the ground signal. A typical way of achieving this is (on a guitar with a volume control for each pick-up) by turning down the volume on one of the pick-ups then alternating the pick-up selector switch between that pick-up and one with the volume turned all the way up. They are sometimes used when a singer doubles as a guitar player and isn't playing or sometimes used as an effect during a song. Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave, and Buckethead (such as in "Jordan") are well known for their use of the kill switch.

Nevermind, I just found this video about how to make one.

If I learned stuff about technology I could probably learn how to set the killing on an adjustable timer. Like maybe .005 seconds after the note is played. Although then it would stay off. Hm... the volume does constantly decrease as the note is played. So maybe after it goes down to a certain volume it can be cut off. That would be awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stolen from Wikipedia:

Also, an electronic musical instrument, such as a guitar or bass guitar, may have a kill switch. It is used infrequently but most commonly in heavy metal music. Contrary to popular belief, a kill switch doesn't break the circuit but works by switching between the hot signal from a pick-up and the ground signal. A typical way of achieving this is (on a guitar with a volume control for each pick-up) by turning down the volume on one of the pick-ups then alternating the pick-up selector switch between that pick-up and one with the volume turned all the way up. They are sometimes used when a singer doubles as a guitar player and isn't playing or sometimes used as an effect during a song. Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave, and Buckethead (such as in "Jordan") are well known for their use of the kill switch.

Interesting I was always under the impression it was a gainbooster due to other sources I've read.. Anyway it sounds like shit imo :lol:

I built it and it sounds good. I mean it is kind of hard to use, I have yet to be able to play the Know Your Enemy intro pressing the Kill Switch after every note, but it does in a way make the riffs sound faster than they really are.

I think I'm gonna learn how to build pedals. I heard its not very difficult.