Killer long interview....BWP era...!!!!.with MIKE

waz416c

New Metal Member
Apr 19, 2005
http://www.metal-rules.com/interviews/Opeth.htm

.....relaly good read....i think someone posted parts of it...but this is teh whol ething....its so funny...coz in it Mikae says that his dream is to go on a cross country (america) road trip with his best friend (singer from Katatonia)...O...how sweet...hahahhaa.....PEAC EOUT

It is, and I’m sure we’re going to have our ups and downs at shows, but I wasn’t to see the States as a tourist as well. It’s been a dream of mine to rent a car or something and drive maybe from the East Coast to the West Coast with my best friend Jonathan [Renske], who is the lead singer from Katatonia. We want to go down to those redneck places just see everything. Maybe meet the Amish people [laughs].
I like how his two dreams of America were rednecks and the Amish.

People ask me all the time who’s playing the keyboards and I tell them there are none, it’s all done with guitars. You can experiment so much with a guitar that it’s not necessary to use keyboards. It’s easy to create some kind of atmosphere by turning on a keyboard, punching a button and playing a chord. We’ve never been about disguising our music with some kind of cheap atmosphere.

-Akerfeldt 2001

People ask me all the time who’s playing the keyboards and I tell them there are none, it’s all done with guitars. You can experiment so much with a guitar that it’s not necessary to use keyboards. It’s easy to create some kind of atmosphere by turning on a keyboard, punching a button and playing a chord. We’ve never been about disguising our music with some kind of cheap atmosphere.

-Akerfeldt 2001

yeah, this one struck me too a bit ...
but they still say that they don't want keyboards to influence their sound and have it to determine the atmosphere ... they have it now as an extra instrument, adding to the music, not overwhelming it.

^True, in GR they use them pretty much on the side. Not that it is a bad thing, just that I found that quote to be contradictory.

^ people change, guess he didnt think it through back than.
i guess ill look back to this post in a few years form now and regret it, but im currently seeing GR as a... lees good album than the rest. i dont know if its SW getting old or Opeth moving out of my "zone", or even me, not being open-minded enough or not mature enough.

anyhow, great interview!! ;)

^ people change, guess he didnt think it through back than.
i guess ill look back to this post in a few years form now and regret it, but im currently seeing GR as a... lees good album than the rest. i dont know if its SW getting old or Opeth moving out of my "zone", or even me, not being open-minded enough or not mature enough.

anyhow, great interview!! ;)
...SW wasn't involved in GR.

The main reasons I don't like GR as much:

1. Lack of interesting riffs compared to other albums plus guitar sound is weaker
2. I don't like the vibe of the soft sections as much...they're nice, but they just don't hit me the way older Opeth soft sections did. I dunno.

...SW wasn't involved in GR.

The main reasons I don't like GR as much:

1. Lack of interesting riffs compared to other albums plus guitar sound is weaker
2. I don't like the vibe of the soft sections as much...they're nice, but they just don't hit me the way older Opeth soft sections did. I dunno.

The Apostle In Triumph:

"In The Form of wisdom
Carved on a black stone!"

The following part (right before the Bassline Of Might, Magic, Heaven And The Universe :)) is surely keyboards, is it not?