Killer metal debut.... crap after that

Speaking of Van Halen..

On Sunday night I went to see a Van Halen tribute show in Melbourne called In Halen and they rocked! It was a tribute to the DLR era, and they put on such a good show. The drummer was dressed up like Alex with the headband and all and the big long tom things on his kit.... the bassist looked just like Michael Anthony & even had the Jack Daniels bass... the guitarist looked alot like Eddie, did all his stage moves & faces and really had his sound & feel when he played... then there was the singer, OH MY GOD hahahahah! He was such an over the top David Lee Roth it was awesome!

He comes out in orange spandex with a g-string over the top and bandanas tied around the bottom of his legs and a bottle of Jack Daniels in his hand with 2/3 of it left, and by the end of their 1 hour set he'd polished off the whole bottle hahah. He spoke in David's accent & voice and every word he uttered was in a sleazy breathy voice and making passes at the chicks behind the bar and everything... he even goes "So did everyone watch the grand prix today? I had to miss it coz I was having really intense sex at the time!" (the Melb grand prix was on that day). His voice & stage moves were exactly like DLR too. It was such a fun show, the band just really captured the whole crazy vibe of early Van Halen perfectly!

Then Melbourne's best Kiss tribute show came out and played 2+ hours with idential replicas of their Love Gun costumes, walls of Marshalls and a big drum riser and the fully functional Kiss lights as the backdrop, with a full pyrotechnic display throughout their set and even had 8 strippers from a local strip joint get on stage and strut around topless hahah. It was a huge show!

Anyway I'll let you all get back to the topic haha! :)

Greeno said:
The first band that comes to my mind is Guns N Roses. Appetite was a great hard rock/ metal album but it was all down hill after that to me. Today they (Axl) is nothing more than a joke.

I would agree with this statement, except for the fact that I thought "Appetite For Destruction" basically sucked. However... the statement still does ring true in the fact that I tought their first album, "Live Like A Suicide" was good. Yes I know it was only a four song EP, however, in my opinion, this is the album that they climaxed on... Appetite was a let down, and God only knows what the freak they were thinking after that.

The Trooper said:
Heaps of glam bands put out a great debut and never matched, and alot of them only put out compilations, remixes of demos, and stuff like that after too.

Here are some bands I think who's debut is easily their best release and went downhill after:

Vain
Roxx Gang
Pretty Boy Floyd
Faster Pussycat
LA Guns
Tuff
Warrant (tho most of Cherry Pie rocks too but DRFSR is EASILY their shining moment imo)
WASP
Guns N Roses
Bulletboys
Cinderella (suprised nobody mentioned them yet, nothing after Night Songs even came remotely close!)
Jackyl
Dio (didnt go bad by any means, love Sacred Heart & Last In Line too but Holy Diver is his opus..)
Vinnie Vincent Invasion (love both but the debut is far better)
Harem Scarem

I would have to agrre with just about this whole list, except Faster Pussycat... I actually think they got better each album, and to this day think that "Whipped" is their best work.

Also.. Pretty Boy Floyd has done "okay" with some of their most recent stuff.

tedvanfrehley said:
Ah..the Mighy Van Halen. Such is my life. I have spent many a day in heated debate over who's the best/worst singer, and how Ed's playing is better/worse than ever, and how Michael Anthony's a hired gun, and how Al is just a "yes" man and this and that. Many love them. Many hate them . But never has my heart been trodden upon so heavily as to see my beloved Dutch boys accused of being "one hit wonders". My heart breaks and my spirit weeps. Uncle Ted has been dealt a blow of which he may not soon recover. Small children run to me with flowers and candy, and other gifts to be strewn about my person to try and restore hope. But alas, it is too late. I have been stricken down by this animosity and my will to go on has been abolished. Oh woe to thee, o doubting ones who have brought me to this place. The Mighty Van Halen shall rise in 2004. They shall bring joy again to my heart and take away this pain and suffering. Only then, shall my good feelings be restored. Cry for me, old schoolers. Let your tears be my cleansing. ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
the humanity....

and by the way...MICHAEL ANTHONY'S HOT SAUCE CAN BE PURCHASED SOON AT www.madanthonycafe.com

Yeah baby!

Although I'm not a big Van Halen fan... I'd have to say that everything up through and including Fair Warning was incredible. And let me re-state that I'm not a big fan of the band, but I'm a huge David Lee fan. That guy was everything rock n roll was supposed to be in his day!!!!

Yeah all Pretty Boy Floyd's stuff is pretty cool, all super-glam... but Leather Boyz is just the Pretty Boy Floyd album, all you really need!

Officer Nice said:
What was wrong with Green? Green was a great record.

lol we will never agree on anything ...... There was like 3 or 4 really great songs on it but its just not listenable ..... and it really just blows next to everything Forbidden did before it :D

Officer Nice said:
I've been listening to their latest record for a little while now and it's very
Burn My Eyes-esque. "Through the Ashes of Empires" is a return to tr00
Machine Head.

hahahaha no offense I'm just being a dick now, but judging by the way you wrote trOO just like all those kiddies do nowadays its prolly crap,...... and hell you like green :loco:

Yeah it was a great night JonnyD! :headbang:

I actually haven't got Whipped by Faster Pussycat so maybe they did top the debut with that one! But I just didn't like "Wake Me When It's Over" very much. I love the debut though, very fun party album. I play it alot to get me in the mood before goin' out to party & get drunk & rock n roll, along with Look What The Cat Dragged In haha!

Quiet Riot - cool debut... crap afterward.
Pearl Jam - see Quiet Riot

I could write a pretty long list of bands whose debut was their finest hour, but I don't think that is so rare. You have your whole life to write your first release and a couple of years to write your second.

Bryant

JonnyD said:
lol we will never agree on anything ...... There was like 3 or 4 really great songs on it but its just not listenable ..... and it really just blows next to everything Forbidden did before it

Green was more experimental and consider the timeframe in which green
came out. That plays a major role. I do disagree with you. I think Green
was the most mature, most progressive and most experimental thing
they did and it does kick ass.

JonnyD said:
hahahaha no offense I'm just being a dick now, but judging by the way you wrote trOO just like all those kiddies do nowadays its prolly crap,...... and hell you like green :loco:

You're being a dick? more like a pain the ass :D The new Machine
Head disc is being hailed as a 'return to roots' kind of record and it's no
skin off my teeth if you dont download it and give it a try for free.
You're the one who loses out. :)

Officer Friendly said:
Green was more experimental and consider the timeframe in which green
came out. That plays a major role. I do disagree with you. I think Green
was the most mature, most progressive and most experimental thing
they did and it does kick ass.

You're being a dick? more like a pain the ass :D The new Machine
Head disc is being hailed as a 'return to roots' kind of record and it's no
skin off my teeth if you dont download it and give it a try for free.
You're the one who loses out. :)

Yaknow what I will do I will Dig out my copy of Green and give it another shot And Maybe I will Check out the New Machine Head Just because you took my being a Pain so well :D But I cant Garentee I will do that even if you can D/L it lol thats all a matter of interest ....... its funny how we cant agree on anything ... yet we can Discuss green ... cause I think we are the only ones that know it :loco:

Wicked Child said:
Death Angel went down after their debut, as did Slayer, only to come back with Seasons In The Abyss, then they got worse. Cannibal Corpse's debut was alright, but i really couldn't get into their other albums. Angel Witch..sorta. But they didn't really put out much after their debut, and neither did Diamond Head. Annihilator had a GREAT debut, only to go a step down on the second album, then just fall totally flat afterwards.

Hell no. Every Annihilator record with the exception of "Set the World On Fire" is awesome metal.