KING DIAMOND on next season of That Metal Show

With the amount of money he got for that gig for the few years they were together, even you would have joined Creed.

The fact of the matter is, judging someone by the music they play is stupid. Assuming that they are "posers" without knowing jackshit about their taste, is also not very smart. That's all.

Missing the point.
He is on the show since he is known as the guitarist for CREED and ALTER BRIDGE. Therefore, he has NO business being on THAT METAL SHOW, as he is not a metal musician.

Just being a METAL FAN would not warrant his appearance.

Heck, Miley Cyrus is a MAIDEN fan but I dont care to hear her opinion on anything metal either.

Just saying you know he will use being on a show "THAT METAL SHOW" and sitting next to the KING to say how even though he was in what is possibly the worst band of all time in CREED, that he is a life long raging metalhead.

But he is. LOL What's wrong with that?

How does being in Alter Bridge, regardless of if you like them or not, have to do in supporting his being a metalhead?????

Just showing that he has played in a band that's more "metal" than Creed.

Bottom line, the dude shouldn't be on the show.

Right. Just as 90% of his guests shouldn't be on that show, because they're not relevant and haven't played "METAL" in 20 years.

I mean, I LOVE the Smashing Pumpkins, and Corgan is also a fan of DIO and Sabbath.
So would you guys have NO issue at all with HIM being on THAT METAL SHOW since I can state he is also into metal?

You love trying to win an online argument, don't you? :lol:

Has Corgan ever done anything closer to actual metal in his career? Well, Tremonti has. Plus, since when That Metal Show really showcases metal? LOL Come on now... I wouldnt be surprised if Corgan was on the show. I'd dig it, actually.

My problem is more so with the show itself than the guests.

:lol: :lol: With the amount of money he got for that gig for the few years they were together, even you would have joined Creed.

The fact of the matter is, judging someone by the music they play is stupid. Assuming that they are "posers" without knowing jackshit about their taste, is also not very smart. That's all.

You forgot to mention that the 'speedmetal' band he was going to join was with the singer from Hatebreed and the drummer from Slipknot. Smells like true metal, yeah?

And honestly dude, I'm just giving you shit. He's a decent guitar player. Nothing special. Creed was the very first concert I ever went to. And the second.

You forgot to mention that the 'speedmetal' band he was going to join was with the singer from Hatebreed and the drummer from Slipknot. Smells like true metal, yeah?

ROFL see, I'd argue about Joey Jordison because he is a metal drummer.

With the Hatebreed guy comment though, you got me. FUCK, I feel like I've been stumped.

Creed was the very first concert I ever went to. And the second.

:lol::lol::lol: I can't wait to let people know that at MDF next year.

Well, we are all in agreement that the show has faults.......

Sorry man, but seriously? Because Alter Bridge was heavier than Creed, even though they weren't metal, he is metal since AB was MORE metal THAN Creed?

No doubt there have been guests that are questionable.
I suppose AB could fall under the "Hard Rock" umbrella, which would make him game for the show.

I still think you are just defending this because you are personally a fan of the guy and are trying to justify that by trying to prove his metalness. LOL.....

Well, if they let Tom Morello repeatedly on the show, why not this guy????????

Ummm...
I think Veronica being on Stump The Trunk "WAS" the promotional tactic....

Except that nobody knew she was the lead singer of Benedictum, the album they made their "pick of the week". I mean hell, they promote her album, say it's great, bring her on the show and won't even let her be an actual guest? That seems kinda shitty, to me. I expected her to at least be treated like a professional, and not just an audience member. :/

While I'm thankful that a show concerning metal even exists in our society, I too have some beef with this show. Mostly because...

Case in point... Veronica Freeman was on their show, once. And by on their show, I mean hidden in the audience. When she was finally shown, she did that stupid "stump the Trunk" crap, and never once did they actually mention who she was, besides "Veronica from SanDiego". And this is after their new album was chosen as their "pick of the week".

Link!

So uh, yeah. Screw them.

You failed to mention that Graham Bonnet pimped Benedictum for Veronica though...Hell, I'd rather have Graham wearing my shirt on TV and mentioning my band over Eddie.

~Brian~

VH1 Classic actually books the guests. The hosts can make recommendations, but do not have final say in some cases (such as Jani Lane's appearance where they wanted the current version of Warrant at that time).

Can't wait for the guy from CREED to tell the world how he is a lifelong King Diamond / Mercyful Fate fan.

Actually, I've been following Mark since the very early days before Creed broke. He's always spoke up for metal even in the 90's when it wasn't cool to like bands such as Mercyful Fate and Dark Angel, which he is a fan of both. Mark is a badass and one of the best modern guitarist/songwriters in business. I'll take up for Mark any day of the week and also Scott Phillips and Brian Marshall. Scott Stapp has made a dick out of himself over the years, but he's dug his own hole.

Ok Jason, now you're jumping the gun.

The "guy from Creed" coming to the show isn't fucking Scott Stapp. It's Mark Tremonti. Guitarist for Creed, but also for the fucking incredible band Alter Bridge and his own solo shit.

Yeah, it's still considered mainstream music, but Tremonti's music (aside from Creed) has always been known for being heavy. He's a big metal fan. In fact, a quick search on Wikipedia will reveal things like the fact that he plans (planned?) on starting a Speed Metal band, and he's had an instructional guitar DVD release in a series that also features musicians like Rusty Cooley and Michael Angelo Batio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEjM_wF1VBA

You're exactly right!

stands alone

No he doesn't.

~Brian~

Jasonic, your argument is invalid because the show promotes itself as being about "hard rock and heavy metal". Having a member of Alterbridge certainly fits that description.

It is always funny when people here bitch about Eddie Trunk, when really we are not his audience. His audience are mostly those who grew up with 70s and 80s hard rock and heavy metal and never really moved beyond that. While he does occasionally talk about newer bands, that isn't the focus of the show. I mean, look what channel its on, VH1 Classic.

The funny thing was when I used to be a subscriber of XM, his show was probably one of the best things on that station, because there was a good chance he'd play some tracks that the station would never play. Fact is, Da Boneyard really struggled to play new/deep tracks, and eventually they gave up on it entirely.

Personally, I think the show has gotten better since they've gone to the hour format and they've gotten rid of most of the stupid comedy bits. I wish there was more actual music in the show, rather than having guitarist (and now drummers) showing off going into the break. For that reason, I still think his radio show is superior, for what it is.

Jasonic, your argument is invalid because the show promotes itself as being about "hard rock and heavy metal". Having a member of Alterbridge certainly fits that description.

It is always funny when people here bitch about Eddie Trunk, when really we are not his audience. His audience are mostly those who grew up with 70s and 80s hard rock and heavy metal and never really moved beyond that. While he does occasionally talk about newer bands, that isn't the focus of the show. I mean, look what channel its on, VH1 Classic.

The funny thing was when I used to be a subscriber of XM, his show was probably one of the best things on that station, because there was a good chance he'd play some tracks that the station would never play. Fact is, Da Boneyard really struggled to play new/deep tracks, and eventually they gave up on it entirely.

Personally, I think the show has gotten better since they've gone to the hour format and they've gotten rid of most of the stupid comedy bits. I wish there was more actual music in the show, rather than having guitarist (and now drummers) showing off going into the break. For that reason, I still think his radio show is superior, for what it is.

This entirely. Listen, I'm not a fan of the show. I have watched it on occasion but nothing I'm gonna be heartbroken if I don't see; however, like Longshot said, we are not the audience.

VH1 Classic actually books the guests. The hosts can make recommendations, but do not have final say in some cases (such as Jani Lane's appearance where they wanted the current version of Warrant at that time).

How do you know this?
I think Trunk is more in tune with what bands have new albums and who is going to be on tour (IE - that's the only way most of those guests are in town), than some suit at VH1 Classic.

Sure, they have a booking staff, but I would find it very hard to believe that Trunk didn't have a heavy hand in this.

I will agree with you there.

Trunk on occasion will mention Iced Earth, etc, but that's rare.

Except that nobody knew she was the lead singer of Benedictum, the album they made their "pick of the week". I mean hell, they promote her album, say it's great, bring her on the show and won't even let her be an actual guest? That seems kinda shitty, to me. I expected her to at least be treated like a professional, and not just an audience member. :/

No offense to Veronica and Benedictum, as I do think they are good at what they do, but they certainly have gotten a LOT more exposure on that show than anyone at their level could hope for.

Sorry, but she is no where near "Special Guest" worthy for a show on a major cable network that caters primarily to the older crowd.

Sorry, but she is no where near "Special Guest" worthy for a show on a major cable network that caters primarily to the older crowd.

Gonna have to disagree, there. She might not be huge, but it seems silly to me not to at least mention who she is and the fact that she's in the band they mentioned. But I can understand that it's VH1 who might choose the guests, not Eddie Trunk. I'm not a fan of the show, but I'm not gonna rag on the dude. I don't know him. All I know is that it's not a show I enjoy.

Sure, they have a booking staff, but I would find it very hard to believe that Trunk didn't have a heavy hand in this.

He does, tho he's probably also rather limited in the range he can book. He needs to bring in people who will bring in the viewers.

I thought this article is interesting, where he defends bringing in Styx as a guest:

http://www.examiner.com/article/eddie-trunk-defends-booking-styx-on-that-metal-show

"While I am a huge Styx fan . . . is that Metal?" writer Jeb Wright asked. "Explain yourself."

"Every single episode of TMS opens with me saying 'Your home of all things hard rock and heavy metal,' Trunk replied. "The power chords in 'Come Sail Away' were super heavy to me as a kid. Metal? No. Hard rock? At times, for sure."

Booking more mainstream guests has been part of the game plan all along, Trunk explained. "People have to understand TMS must evolve to survive, so we are including old school, new school, rock and metal.

"I never wanted ‘metal’ in the name of the show; the network did," he noted. "At the end of the day, I think people get we are a rock and metal show by now.

"And Vinnie Paul is the other guest in that show and loves Styx, which makes it metal enough for me!"

"Ever hear 'Renegade' or 'Blue Collar Man?'" Jamieson asked rhetorically. "You have to stop listening to 'Mr. Roboto.'”

Sad that a show called "That Metal Show" seems to actually be "That Rock Show and sometimes Metal if they let us".

I think you guys are missing something. This is VH1 CLASSIC. The station is catered to older music. Watch Metal Mania sometime. The fact that Eddie has had Machine Head and a few others I think shows he tries, as well as, Don and Jim always mention newer bands. VH1 Classic is never going to be the Headbangers Ball. Having guests like King Diamond, Steve Harris, Adrian Smith, etc, is as close as we can hope from a station that's viewership is mostly interested in 80's era rock and metal (metal of the radio variety).

How do you know this?
I think Trunk is more in tune with what bands have new albums and who is going to be on tour (IE - that's the only way most of those guests are in town), than some suit at VH1 Classic.

Read it on another forum. Trunk has admitted this is what happens sometimes.