Kingcrowtastrophe

I walked out after two songs giving them a chance. if there was something people were digging I wasn't feeling it one bit. No need to get into specifics but I didn't believe they lived up to any of their hype. Sorry.

Also shielding opinions from bands isn't helpful. Some like certain bands some don't but to tread lightly because of feelings isn't being honest to their art. First thing someone in a band must develop is thick skin because these days everyone is a critic. IMO.

I walked out after two songs giving them a chance. if there was something people were digging I wasn't feeling it one bit. No need to get into specifics but I didn't believe they lived up to any of their hype. Sorry.

Also shielding opinions from bands isn't helpful. Some like certain bands some don't but to tread lightly because of feelings isn't being honest to their art. First thing someone in a band must develop is thick skin because these days everyone is a critic. IMO.

Same thing last year with Haken for me. Gave them 1 and a 1/2 song(coudn't stand more). Turned around and headed to buy some stuff.

No need to get into specifics but I didn't believe they lived up to any of their hype.

Matt, this goes right in the book of stupid comments - I had expected you to know what "hype" means ...

No one has ever posted a review of KINGCROW's live performance here on the forum (or anywhere else). The closest you'll get is the post Kong (Chris from JOP) made.

How there possibly could be any "hype" about their performance is beyond me. It's fair enough to say "I don't like this style of music", or "I don't understand prog rock" or whatever, but people like the original poster or you talking about "not living up to the hype" pisses me off.

Yes, I'm their manager so of course I'm biased - but I've had 20+ of my bands playing here over the years and this was honestly in my top 3 ever.

Matt, this goes right in the book of stupid comments - I had expected you to know what "hype" means ...

No one has ever posted a review of KINGCROW's live performance here on the forum (or anywhere else). The closest you'll get is the post Kong (Chris from JOP) made.

How there possibly could be any "hype" about their performance is beyond me. It's fair enough to say "I don't like this style of music", or "I don't understand prog rock" or whatever, but people like the original poster or you talking about "not living up to the hype" pisses me off.

Yes, I'm their manager so of course I'm biased - but I've had 20+ of my bands playing here over the years and this was honestly in my top 3 ever.

don't think he was talking about live performance!!

There can always be bands every year that you might not care for. Doesn't mean the performance sucked, just that you weren't into it. There have been plenty at PP that I didn't like. I mean, I could have come on here and slammed Diablo Swing Orchestra for sucking ass, but they weren't bad, just not my thing. I'm genuinely bummed I missed Kingcrow, as I play the shit out of Phlegethon when studying.

All that said, I do believe in an open forum, and people should be able to voice their opinions.

don't think he was talking about live performance!!

Exactly my point - there is no hype about the band. It's a largely unknown band from Europe that hasn't played any big tours or shit. All they've got going for them over here is that they made Glenn's favorite album of 2010, but that is not HYPE. Matt should know what "hype" means ...

I mean, I could have come on here and slammed Diablo Swing Orchestra for sucking ass, but they weren't bad, just not my thing.

Crazy talk. To paraphrase Claus, one of the three best shows I've seen at ProgPower. Somebody with a great Mark Wilkinson avatar should know better. :lol:

As for Kingcrow, I love the album...I didn't make it to PP this year, but they would have been near the top of my "must see" list for bands this year.

I'm totally biased as well, but I thought bryan316 gave an accurate review. They found their stride later in the set. I am very happy I got the chance to see them live. For me, they were worth every sponsorship dollar.

Exactly my point - there is no hype about the band. It's a largely unknown band from Europe that hasn't played any big tours or shit. All they've got going for them over here is that they made Glenn's favorite album of 2010, but that is not HYPE. Matt should know what "hype" means ...

But you have to "agree" that when Glenn say: "This band is awesome" people here normally pay more attention

Glenn talking them on this board, then bringing them over to PP and band being pretty talked about in this forum since then is all hype. Everyone seemed to be excited. That is hype by definition.

You seem to be the person who needs to grow thicker skin it seems. As their manager you are connected I get that but people will criticize and it seems I wasn't alone in not being impressed. Sorry.

Sorry my opinion didn't jive with you, but my comment wasn't stupid. It is my opinion that they didn't live up to what I was expecting. It happens and it's not end of the world.

I think there was hype on a limited scale. I hadn't heard Kingcrow previously but based on the buzz here on the forum I made sure not to miss their set. The 2-3 songs I stayed for didn't thrill me, but I'm glad those who do love them enjoyed their set.

Glenn talking them on this board, then bringing them over to PP and band being pretty talked about in this forum since then is all hype. Everyone seemed to be excited. That is hype by definition.

You seem to be the person who needs to grow thicker skin it seems. As their manager you are connected I get that but people will criticize and it seems I wasn't alone in not being impressed. Sorry.

Sorry my opinion didn't jive with you, but my comment wasn't stupid. It is my opinion that they didn't live up to what I was expecting. It happens and it's not end of the world.

Matt, people can criticize as much as they want - its part of the job to listen to criticism. However, when ppl starts out by slamming a band just bcs they don't like the genre, then I speak up. And Matt, let's face it, hype is not when 25 ppl talk positively about a band, if it was I would be a millionaire by now :)

I will echo some of the comments made in this thread.

When they came out for the first song, they were a little sloppy. Diego was more yelling than singing and the guitarist on the far left of the stage was barely audible. After they settled down (end of song 2?) they sounded fantastic. The far left guitar was never fully fixed, but at least it became audible during the set.

Of the bands I watched yesterday, I'd rate them like this:

Sinbreed - 5/10 - not my thing
Kingcrow - 8/10 - slow start, great finish
Amaranthe - 9/10 - a few miscues didn't take away from the fun!
Serenity - 8.5/10 - Solid performance. They're easily filling the void in my listening line-up that was left when Sonata Arctica switched gears.
Redemption - 6/10 - I've tried and tried to get into them, but I can't do it. Glad others really like them.

I've given Epica way too many tries (twice live, own 3 CDs), so I didn't bother to stay for the set. I also picked up 2 Primordial discs at the insider sale last year that I couldn't get into, so that became my dinner break.

I also picked up 2 Primordial discs at the insider sale last year that I couldn't get into, so that became my dinner break.

Then you missed what is, in my opinion, the best set the fest will see this year. Nothing more intense. But if you gave a 9/10 to Amaranthe, I can tell you probably aren't a Primordial kinda dude.

Back on topic, I thought Kingcrow were cool as shit. They had the best bass tone I've heard so far, and the guy's voice is really unique and it came through really well.

I was fortunate enough to hear 3 tracks off the upcoming Kingcrow album, In Crescendo. If you liked Phlegethon, this will be a must buy disc. Even before final mastering, the tracks were spectacular.

I think there was hype on a limited scale. I hadn't heard Kingcrow previously but based on the buzz here on the forum I made sure not to miss their set. The 2-3 songs I stayed for didn't thrill me, but I'm glad those who do love them enjoyed their set.

Well, two years ago, the Kingcrow track on the festival CD was the standout track. I knew enough to guess they'd be on the roster this year and picked it up in the insider sale. Liked it enough to want to see them this year.

I'll agree that the set was a little weak. Part of the problem was the stronger material was toward the end. It is too bad a lot of people bailed on them.