13. Johnny

14. Save Us

Label: Metal Blade Records
Release date: 2003
Artist site:
http://www.kingsxonline.com/
GRADE:
8.5/10

Black Like Sunday, the 10th studio album of legendary power trio KING'S X, is a collection of songs written before the band was known by their current moniker. Instead of writing new songs, the band opted to get back to their roots and re-record these that were in the vaults. Something innovative from a band that never fails to innovate. This approach has kept them fresh, in my opinion, and frees them up to use new ideas in their numerous side projects. What's so good about this band is that I've heard some of these songs in demo format years ago and back then I thought they were timeless and the same holds true today. Doug Pinnick, Ty Tabor and Jerry Gaskill together are three of the best songwriters on the planet, often imitated, never duplicated. The modernizing of these tracks makes delightful ear candy, pun intended for you KING's X fans out there.

"The title track kicks things off and sounds like a "Dogman" type of track, heavy and rockin', they've really found their groove. Truth be told, they never lost it. Listen to the monster bass tones of "Rock Pile." Pinnick's huge voice during the verse, joined by Gaskill and Tabor for the chorus, that classic KING's X recipe, right off the bat, I'm seduced! And the final groove, you already know this one is going to get extended live.

"Danger Zone" is a very infectious, catchy pop song about growing up in a household of discontent. I really like when Pinnick's voice picks up on the last chorus; just sends chills through the body. The guitar tones and picking of "Working Man" come off early '80's sounding before kicking into overdrive for yet another classic stomper. "Dreams" has this reggae, almost POLICE-like vibe to it. "Finished" has a really cool bass line going through the verses, listen carefully. Awesome chorus, too. "Screamer" features Pinnick in attack mode, his screams pouring through the speakers like an evil poltergeist. A darker tune with an interesting chorus, this song definitely would've fit in perfectly with 2000's Please Come Home... Mr. Bulbous or their last release, Manic Moonlight.

Heavy grooves aplenty to be found in "Bad Luck," not one of my favorite songs though, however. "Down" is a demo track that I've had in my collection forever, nice to finally hear it fully realized. A nice, subdued, rainy day track. "Won't Turn Back" reeks of '80's college rock, kinda fun, if you know what I mean. "Two" is the only other song I had previously heard and have in my collection and they have really kicked this one in the ass! By far, one of my favorite songs in this collection, the dynamics contained within must be heard to be believed. Great melody lead starting off "You're The Only One," another borderline college rock number. "Johnny" is the masterpiece on this cd, an epic clocking in around 11 and a half minutes. The flow of the verses perfect for that long bowl of smoke in the bong! Picking up only to slow back down for a really nice jam session and smooth leads from Tabor, this song definitely qualifies for "space jam." The cd ends with "Save Us" an upbeat happy punkish song that sticks to your brain like glue.

A wonderful release, and leaves me waiting for upcoming projects from the band's members. And if you've never witnessed KING'S X live, get off of your ass and do so. You'll thank me later.

PJ