Kiss Blame Fans For Industry Downturn

OK, first off I am a KISS fan from way back. That doesn't mean I agree with everything they do or record but in general I like them. Secondly, Gene Simmons is always mouthing off about how it's all about the money to him and people don't like that kind of in-your-face honesty. I however support the fact that he's being up front about the reason he's in a band in the first place.
Having said that, Gene is indeed deluded about the music industry in its present form. Before the age of recorded music, musicians made their living from LIVE performances or by writing music on comission. As recorded music came into being, profit was made from the sales of such recordings (LP's, cassettes and later CD's). Music itself didn't change, only they way profit was derived from it.
Nowdays, because of digital technology, it is impossible to make the recordings "exclusive" since copies can be made easily and thusly profit is no longer a possibility.
In closing: the music industry will only "die" if it persists on seeking profit with an outdated model. It's as foolish as seeking profit from a song by selling its sheet music!

In closing: the music industry will only "die" if it persists on seeking profit with an outdated model. It's as foolish as seeking profit from a song by selling its sheet music!

I like your viewpoint a lot. Let's hope the music industry understand they have to cope with a new era...and let´s hope CDs do not dissappear :cry:

If you ask me the Music Industry hung themselves by greed. Back when Old Man Metal was buying cassette tapes, they where about 5.99 and to make a tape it has to be recorded onto the tape. Something I think would be more expensive then burning a cd. And I would think you could do it in less time, burning then recording. So why are CD's 21.99? I'm guessing greed. Of course downloading exploded, it was free.

I'm glad to deal with the bands I find online directly. I can hear their music, talk with them and purchase a CD. Plus you are getting a CD that is without the corporate influence.

Later

Gene SImmons is a sourpuss that loves money. Paul is a rockstar that likes to show-off...... but Paul is also an artist. I thought his solo album was boring as shit, but it was far from uninspired.... it was just not to my taste.
Gene would make a Kiss brand garbage bag if he thought he could profit from it. THe only thing I have heard of Paul trying to sell was artwork painted by himself and I respect that. As I said, Paul is an artist. He may not be a great one, but he takes it seriously. Gene, on the other hand, is an entepreneur. Writing songs together would be tough.

Bryant

Gene SImmons is a sourpuss that loves money. Paul is a rockstar that likes to show-off...... but Paul is also an artist. I thought his solo album was boring as shit, but it was far from uninspired.... it was just not to my taste.
Gene would make a Kiss brand garbage bag if he thought he could profit from it. THe only thing I have heard of Paul trying to sell was artwork painted by himself and I respect that. As I said, Paul is an artist. He may not be a great one, but he takes it seriously. Gene, on the other hand, is an entepreneur. Writing songs together would be tough.

Which is why Ace is definitely the coolest original KISS member! :headbang:

True but I think they could have really done something with the Revenge line up had the reunion thing not taken off like it did...

Well, they kind of threw that out the window with "Carnival of Souls: The Last Sessions" which was released after the Alive Worldwide Tour in 1997. That album showed them merely trying to keep up in the marketplace when they released that Grunge album, which was really disappointing since "Revenge" was such an honest record.

Getting back on topic:

I was reading an article along those lines in some business magazine a couple weeks ago (not my usual reading material, I was in the waiting room at the dentist). It essentially said that touring is where the money is these days. It said that Jimmy Buffett made something like $34 mil in ticket sales in 2007. So, yeah, if you're in a band, fuck recording, hit the road.

Touring is where most Heavy Metal bands have traditionally made their money, from ticket sales to merchandising (t-shirts, programs, etc.). For instance, look at a band like Rush when they tour the U.S. Their sales before downloading were only about 500,000 copies per album, but they go out and do a tour of 50 dates and have over 10,000+ fans a night show up, often at $50 a head. In gross ticket sales, that's at least $25 million and that doesn't even count the merchandising income.

For most bands, they don't see that much profit from CD sales unless they're the writers of the music and/or lyrics since the record company (majors and independents) recording contracts are worded in legalese for the production of vinyl records. Meanwhile, CDs are still regarded as a "new technology," which means they will use that language to try to gyp the artist of their mechanical royalties.

Now, if the record companies are still using that mindset, is it any wonder that they're losing money? It would be the same as if AT&T were still trying to push rotary phone technology while the rest of the world has already moved to digital.