Kit miking to catch ONLY cymbals?

electricred

Jan 2, 2012
What's some suggestions on mic positions angles for overheads and maybe some spot dynamics to catch mostly cymbals, avoiding as much kit sound as possible? I've been looking for some tips but most people seem to be wanting the overheads to grab the full sound.

Altough it will be almost impossible to completely exclude the kit in the overheads, the first thing that comes to my mind is to mic the cymbals in a line that blocks out the most obstrusive parts. Since that will probably be the snare, I would suggest placing cymbals in the line between the mic and the snare, blocking it out a bit.
You could also go for very directional spot micing (from the bottom or pointing outward), but that will create a more individual sound per cymbal instead of the nice wash that overhead mics usually provide.

Another option is to record the cymbal performance as a different take than the other drums, depending on what you are going for. May sound TOO disconnected though, and probably messes with the vibes of the drummer.

And if you still have a snare or something else poking out too much for your tastes after the recording, you could sidechain comp the overhead track with the signal from the offending element. Fast attack and natural release. That should take care of that pokey bastard.

There was a thread on here a LONG time ago where a guy miced each cymbal underneath so that the mic was facing up at the cymbal. I remember it sounding super awesome.

Only way you are going to not get shells in the OH mics is to record cymbals separately from the shells.

I'll try the "under heads" idea. I read a handful of discussions on here and GS, seems plausible... thanks, and I'm still open to any ideas. I've not recorded a kit like this before, and will be doing a location recording soon and ideas to try and play around with will be useful.

What's wrong with having the mics pointing right down on the cymbal like you see?

What is your goal with this btw? Are you going for something distinct sounding, or do you just want to minimize problems come mixtime?

Didn't know about QotSA using that split recording technique btw! Album sounds great to me, so I guess that technique's worth a try.

2i21zpv.gif

Try some pads from an e-kit if you want to trigger the drums(which would be natural since you want to avoid their sound from the cymbals)it really helps and i fucking love this combination

sounds like that

Last edited by a moderator:
firstly, would like to say ive been reading this section of the forum for years but never posted. first post, HELLOOOOOO.

im glad someone asked this question and AllanD for finding that particular thread, which was the one i was thinking of...

i was thinking underside miking for the next Khariot record, including having a blumlein config (low in the mix) for the overall glue... but mainly to keep the kit acoustic, only triggering kicks, getting depth/clarity/seperation, for my drummer goes from jazzy to extreme metal and everything in between.

my drummers kit is massive. 6 fkn toms and quite a few cymbals. also having the blumlein to catch all the bells and mini splashes, cuz single close miking them would be ridiculous.

anybody have any tried-and-tested mics for this undermiking configuration? condenser or dynamics (would 57s work?)? also those clip-on underside cymbal mics referred to in the other thread, anyone found anything more COST efficient... especially having that many cymbals.