Kiuas uses and abuses

Zombie_Kiuas

Brave Sir Robin
Sep 14, 2005
Helsinki, Finland
www.kiuas.net
Right.

I'll start the warfare by declaring my own specs:
I use a Warwick 5-string Vampyre LTD (black) as my main instrument of havoc and destruction.
My trusty old warhorse, patsy, as my secondary bass is a Ibanez 5-string Soundgear. It's quite old and battered but hey, it still works and I won't give it away.

I use a Warwick Profet 5.1 as a amp head, and I'm currently looking for a good, solid and asskickin' cabby underneath it... The search continues as one might say.

As for other specs I generally like to consume unprepared raw meat and divine mead for rest and relaxation and amuse myself by reading comics while in the shower. :hotjump:

I use an old and (t)rusty Yamaha CS2x, that's generally considered to be more of a techno synth, as a midi controller. All the sounds come from a Korg TR-Rack synth module that I carry around in a rack bag. The instrument, power and midi cables are conveniently fixed inside the bag so it's pretty fast to get my gear set up on stage.

At the moment I use some randomly chosen keyboard stand from the practise flat. I usually carry the synth around in a soft bag but on longer trips I use a hard case. I relax with the PS2 and my Rubik's Cubes. :p

But soon, maybe in a month or so I'm grabbing myself a brand new Korg Triton Extreme 76. Then I have all the synth power I need for some time to come.

My gear is pretty simple, just my ENGL Fireball head, and like Teemu I'm also about to purchase a cabinet, so far I've mostly played through Marshalls. I just use a couple of stomp boxes; delay and EQ (I boost the mids a little bit) for leads, and a Dunlop wah.
My main axe is my precious Ibanez JEM, the string gauges I've had for a while now are .10-.56, they feel pretty comfortable in dropped C tuning.

By the way, I should also change the tubes for the ENGL pretty soon, they're pretty old. Anyone had any different experiences with different tubes in an ENGL head?

hey, was wondering if you guys could update this thread with the new members and the remaining members new gear. That would be awesome! thanks.

Okay. My main instrument is still the same bass although I'm looking for an endorsement deal at the moment. I have a few alternatives but nothing certain yet.

My cab head is Mesa Boogie 1200w V12 Big Block Titan and it's a whopper! I've never ran out of juice with it. Actually I usually have it a bit too low because it's just so goddamn powerful. With it I have the corresponding 1200w 4x12 cabinet. You can't carry it in a handbag but other than that it's awesome and really powerful. I used to have the 8x10 cab but it was a bit too high-tone for my liking. But I've been very proud of my equipment and I won't change them unless something really mind-bogglin' appears...

Hi! As requested - Here's some info about my keyboard gear with Kiuas.
I'm about to write more detailed "story" with pics and maybe sound examples next year, hopefully in Q1/2012. I'll post it here then.

LIVE GEAR:

- 2 x Korg M50-61 with "chord button mod" = chord trigger buttons change banks instead of triggering chords and chord assign button changed to tap tempo.
Other M50 as spare.

- 2 x SKB-4214W hardcase

- Roland SP-404SX sampler (midicontrolled from M50)

- Mackie 402 VLZ3 (4 channel mixer)

- 2 x BOSS FS-5U switch (other as damper, other as Leslie speed switch)

- 1 x Korg EXP-2 Expression pedal (used as volume control for particular combis or programs within combi)

- Ultimate V-stand ("tilt mod")

- Whirlwind audio cables, Proel Die Hard midi cable

- Whirlwind Direct2 - DI.box

STUDIO GEAR:
Various digital and analog hardware from 1982 to date.
Korg Legacy software synths.

Very interesting read. Really sick organ sound you got there. Is it the rotary speaker effect + distortion that makes it sound like a phaser effect, or are you just using some phaser effects?

Also the clip of the Kiuas demo sounds really great, I love the funkyness of the solo (I also really liked going into a little acoustic break at the end, oldschool Ukko vibe there). I can't wait to hear what you do with new Kiuas stuff.

Very interesting read. Really sick organ sound you got there. Is it the rotary speaker effect + distortion that makes it sound like a phaser effect, or are you just using some phaser effects?

Also the clip of the Kiuas demo sounds really great, I love the funkyness of the solo (I also really liked going into a little acoustic break at the end, oldschool Ukko vibe there). I can't wait to hear what you do with new Kiuas stuff.

Thanks for post Adam, really nice to hear that you liked my blog and sound clips. There are Leslie simulator and tube overdrive effects from M50, no phaser but yes the Leslie sounds a bit like one by its nature. M50 is mainly for live, so on the album recordings I will use other (hopefully even more sick o_O) source for Hammond. ;)

I'm also really enthusiastic about the new material :D

demo clip sounds really cool! I've been feverishly waiting some news since Asim's departure, so good to hear something! Even if it is just a 30 second clip.