KK Downing quits Judas Priest!

Metaldrumz

Jul 18, 2002
http://www.expressandstar.com/entertainment/2011/04/20/kk-downing-quits-metal-legends-judas-priest/

The band announced today that Downing, aged 59, also known as Ken, who lives at Astbury Hall near Bridgnorth, would be retiring with immediate effect.

A statement on the band’s website www.judaspriest.com said: “It is with regret that Judas Priest announce that KK Downing has formally retired from the band and will therefore not be joining them on their forthcoming Epitaph tour.

“The band respect his decision and naturally all wish him well.

“Having thought long and hard about how to proceed, Rob, Glenn, Ian and Scott unanimously agreed that they should go ahead with the tour and not let the fans down all around the world.”

Judas Priest play Wolverhampton Civic Hall on July 21 and the High Voltage Festival in London on July 23.

There has been no indication yet why Downing, a founder member of the band, has decided to leave so close to the tour.

Although it has been announced as their last major concert outing, Judas Priest still plan to continue recording.

Downing’s place on the tour will be taken by 31-year-old British guitarist Richie Faulkner, who has toured around the world with the likes of Iron Maiden, Motley Crue, Thunder and Within Temptation.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!!!!!! This is not the sort of shit I want to hear when I wake up. I'm practically speechless. I don't really know if they should even tour now or make new discs because the duo of him and Tipton, you just can't replace. I love the band, but I really don't want this to fuck up their ending. I'm not really happy with the replacement either, who happens to be Lauren Harris' guitarist. I think if they replaced him with Metal Mike I wouldn't have had a problem but yeah, time to just retire Priest.

For Downing to decide to retire before the farewell means it's either his health (which I wouldn't be too surprised sadly since he hasn't been looking the greatest) or some major shit went down, which either we'll never know of or it'll be quite some time before we do as they're known for being pretty tight-lipped about stuff. Sadly, I'm not really shocked something happened because I did find it interesting that they announced this farewell in December and we really haven't heard anything since.

I love JP, but you know...people get old. he's been at it for a really long time.

Something doesn't click right about all of this at all. I'm worried about his health above all. Why leave before the farewell tour unless something came up that is or could potentially be quite serious? I don't see KK as the type of guy that would just say "Fuck it, I don't care enough about the fans to go out this last time." I hope he's alright.

Something doesn't click right about all of this at all. I'm worried about his health above all. Why leave before the farewell tour unless something came up that is or could potentially be quite serious? I don't see KK as the type of guy that would just say "Fuck it, I don't care enough about the fans to go out this last time." I hope he's alright.

Something definitely isn't right that's for sure. Who knows? It could be too that he's just getting too old and his body couldn't take a full-fledged tour like this. I sort of think that's the least likely possibility but yeah, for him to quit before the tour, it has to be something major I would think.

Something very bad went down, probably in the health area. KK was talking about going for the festivals with Priest earlier this month. For this to happen all of a sudden speaks to health issues.