KNAC.COM Review Of "Lamentations" DVD

It was a review but you were not critical at all. Is it "Damnation" the album worth half of the concert if Opeth have released 7 CDs altogether? What about the first 5 CDs? And, well, Opeth fans can be somewhat disappointed with this release.

PS. To all of you: please don't explain to me the MFN story and the rights and record companies and all that, because I already know it.

You guys wonder how come Harvest was included and not To Bid Your Farewell, Face of Melinda, etc... There is a simple answer... All songs on the DVD are from albums released through Koch Records, the company that released the DVD. All albums released before Blackwater Park were released through a different label... That's why they couldn't include older songs in the dvd. Hell... they probably played Demon of the fall at the show as an encore, but they had to leave it out. Sad, indeed.

Subconscious Cruelty said:
You guys wonder how come Harvest was included and not To Bid Your Farewell, Face of Melinda, etc... There is a simple answer... All songs on the DVD are from albums released through Koch Records, the company that released the DVD. All albums released before Blackwater Park were released through a different label... That's why they couldn't include older songs in the dvd. Hell... they probably played Demon of the fall at the show as an encore, but they had to leave it out. Sad, indeed.

Demoke said:
PS. To all of you: please don't explain to me the MFN story and the rights and record companies and all that, because I already know it.

Is there a proof or at least a source for this Opeth-were-not-allowed-to-bring-older-songs-to-the-DVD-cause-of-the-record-company-theory? I don't believe this.

1. Koch is not Opeth's record company and Koch didn't release the DVD. Koch is Opeth's distribution company for the US and Canada. In Europe - where the DVD was released months before it was released in the US - Koch has nothing to do with it. In Europe the DVD was distributed by Zomba - the same company that distributes e.g. "Morningrise".

2. I don't believe that Opeth is dependant from its record company regarding the choice of songs. IMHO the set list for the Damnation DVD makes sense as it is. It consists of D & D with "The drapery falls" & "The leper affinity" as the only exceptions. I'd say there is no other heavy song on "Deliverance" Opeth were able to perform live.

Not for gigs....For the DVD which has to be distributed....In their opinion, why should they distribute a product thats not theirs? Thats why the songs aren't on.

Maybe to get more fans to buy the DVD, Rejvk. I guess Music For Nations decided that the equation of the fans who now haven't bought the DVD but would've if the earlier album songs were on it minus the cash for Peaceville and Candlelight wouldn't give them any profit.
Younder, Mike has said so many times in interviews that MFN wouldn't let them play the older songs. Maybe he adressed the words more nicely, but that's the way it was. They even played Demon Of The Fall as an encore at the DVD gig, they just couldn't put it on the DVD.

Yonder said:
Is there a proof or at least a source for this Opeth-were-not-allowed-to-bring-older-songs-to-the-DVD-cause-of-the-record-company-theory? I don't believe this.
Do you really believe that Mikael and co would lie about something like that? It's their songs, they wrote it, they probably want to play them as much as we want to hear them. The DVD was promotion for MFN records in particular, D1+D2. We'd all love to see TBYF or Face of Melinda on there, but at the end of the day Opeth personally don't have the money to produce a DVD so they have to do what their record company says :/ Sad i know, but in my opinion they did the best they possibly could all things considering. It was a blinding gig!