KOBRA AND THE LOTUS - Words Of The Prophets EP

Seeing Kobra live next week and looking forward to it but this cover doesn't suit her vocals and it just doesn't work well at all IMO. Why not just cover a Priest tune like A Touch of Evil. Kobra would kill doing that song and she can still act all sexy in the video if she wants to hehe!

Seeing Kobra live next week and looking forward to it but this cover doesn't suit her vocals and it just doesn't work well at all IMO. Why not just cover a Priest tune like A Touch of Evil. Kobra would kill doing that song and she can still act all sexy in the video if she wants to hehe!

She can do both, metal and mellower stuff. I think she's great singing that song.

I don't think her voice works well on that song either. The original version worked so well because Alannah Myles' voice had a sultry rasp to it. Janis Joplin's voice also had a rasp to it, which made it distinctive and worked well with a particular style of song. Here the song is sung too clean. That is not her fault; it's just that the song doesn't fit her voice IMO.

She sounds great singing this IMO, but I think the point of the EP was to cover Canadian artists they were influenced by, Black Velvet was big in the U.S. but it was HUGE in Canada where Allanah Miles is from

For those who didn't look in the above link:

Kobra And The Lotus tour dates:
AUGUST
5 Salt Lake City, UT Music Garage
6 Colorado Springs, CO Sunshine Studios
7 Denver, CO The Roxy Theatre
8 Gallup, NM The Juggernaut
9 Las Vegas, NV LVCS
11 Phoenix, AZ Club Red
12 Fullerton, CA Slidebar
13 San Jose, CA Rockbar Theater
14 San Francisco, CA DNA Lounge

Also on the tour is Hatchet and A Fall To Break.

hatchettour.jpg

From KOBRA AND THE LOTUS PREMIER “BLACK VELVET” MUSIC VIDEO :
Of the new release, frontwoman Kobra Paige commented, ""Kobra and the Lotus is a riff-loving, vocal whaling, storm bringing band. We couldn't do what we do without paying homage to the true roots that were layed down before us. Words Of The Prophets is a tribute to those great Canadian classic rock influences that have set the foundation for music magic since we first heard these songs playing on the radio as little kids. They carry a ton of nostalgia, inspire ambitious journeys, and we hope to rub some of that off on you!"

kobralbum.jpg

Words Of The Prophets tracklisting:

“Lay It On The Line” (Triumph)
“Sign Of The Gypsy Queen” (April Wine)
“Black Velvet” (Alannah Myles)
“Let It Ride” (BTO)
“Spirit Of Radio” (Rush)

Also...
KOBRA AND THE LOTUS COVER APRIL WINE CLASSIC "SIGN OF THE GYPSY QUEEN"; LIVE VIDEO AVAILABLE

I like the this one, but although this gal has a nice voice, the original singer Alannah Myles does this better for me. She has that bluesy and raspy voice that works better for this song.

Bryant