Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Korn – Twisted Transistor
Virgin – 2005
By James Wilcock

Korn.jpg

Time To Mourn The Loss Of Korn?

Firstly I am a big Korn fan, having got into them around the time of the Issues release. Secondly, I am an optimistic Korn fan, always hoping that the new material will be as good as the old stuff (S/T through to Issues).

Unfortunately, this has only ever left me disappointed, which includes the new single, Twisted Transistor.

My criticisms, in no particular order-

1) The rhythm section must be half asleep, with Fieldy’s trademark funky slapped bass replaced by lacklustre filler pushed down to almost inaudible levels in the mix, while David Silveria doesn’t even manage one drum fill
2) Jonathan Davis’ vocal delivery lacks his old emotional conviction
3) Munky plays a pseudo-solo, thatreminds me of a band I don’t like, which doesn’t gel at all well with the usual Korn guitar sound
4) The drums sound slightly odd, heading towards a more electronic sound
5) The song structure is very basic and pop-like, with only one real riff
6) It sounds like a band trying to be Korn
7) It sounds Marilyn Manson-esque, particularly in its generic nature

Ultimately, I feel the song lacks soul and ultimately bores me. Although I have found myself humming and singing the track thanks to the infectiousness of the riff, and the artwork is suitably freaky (if completely random), I don’t think its enough. I still believe they can do so much better.

5/10

Official Korn site

I really liked Korn a couple years back, but I mean come guys this shit is horrible. Twisted T. has got to be the worst song they've ever release, I don't get how it gets played on the radio.

sorrrry guys... maybe i like popkorn... but i neither like pop, nor i like Korn.. both r SSSSICCCCKKKK...

Who wrote this review? He's got crazy mad reviewing skills. I'm not down on my knowledge of Korn, but i certainly will be wary of this release due to the fantastic review. kudos.

i liked their first album A LITTLE. but that newer shit made me detest them. especially that fagot word up music video where they are those stupid fucking dogs. They are turning in to a boy band. but hell, its their band i guess.

first of all, is there anything to mourn anyway? i don't care about the child-abuse-bullshit nu-metal

KORN SUCKS ASS ANYWAY. I'VE HATED THEM SINCE THEY FIRST EMEGRED.

I actually listened to about half this album before turning it off and man did it ever fucking suck.

This isn't the evolution of heavy metal. Only actual heavy metal can cause the evolving of heavy metal.

There are a few catchy songs on the album with really infectious repetitive riffs. Other than these two or three songs its pretty awful. The production saves some of the ultra-simplistic songs, but ruins everything else. I mean, this is like a pop album in terms of over-production. And what happened to the slap-bass? That was the only redeeming quality of Korn.