axemaiden

makes you eat dead things
Aug 21, 2007
grendel's mothers cave
Kotipelto – Serenity
AFM Records - AFM 162-2- April 20, 2007
By Axemaiden

serenity.jpg

I was actually disappointed with this album and (at the risk of promoting outrage amongst power and melodic metal fans who worship Stratovarius and Timo Kotipelto), I found it pretty damn boring and it was quite a chore to listen to the entire thing. Now, I like power metal and I think Timo has an awesome voice, not only that, but Kotipelto consists of some damn fine musicians. So why does each song sound like a re-hash of every power metal tune ever written? Don’t get me wrong, everything was well executed, but hardly anything was original, even down to the solos and it felt like barely any thought was put into the album. This annoys me deeply when you’re dealing with musicians this talented, because they are capable of anything, including breaking out of musical genres which are becoming pretty tired. Power metal needs more bands who will give it a new injection of life; nobody wants to see the same thing repeated over and over again and that seems to be exactly what is happening. The band needs to break out of the box they are in and show just how talented they really can be.

Official Kotipelto Website
Official AFM Records Website

First of all, bad review doesn't mean that you shouldn't get an album and check it out yourselve, and then make a post with your own thoughts.
And lack of originality is a big thing. I think people just getting lazy, but there are bands that keep coming up with lotsa new sounds and styles or sub-genres.

I must agree that I was a bit dissapointed with Kotipelto's new album. Maybe I wxpected something like in Strato's old albums. Anyhow, I like Kotipelto and he is a pretty good singer. I hope he'll make new material this year.