swizzlenuts

i'm sciencing as fast as i can
Apr 21, 2003
Arkham
Krallice - Krallice
Profound Lore PFL-036 11 July 2008
By Brandon Peters

204209.jpg

Krallice is one of the newest American black metal bands out there, and unlike their peers, they have actually pushed black metal further. The guitarists are quite familiar in progressive metal/rock genres with Dysrythmia and Behold… the Arctopus, and with Colin Marston and Mick Bar as guitarists or bassists, they have a unique vision in each style of music, and Krallice is exactly the same. Krallice comes from the movement containing bands like Weakling and Wolves in the Throne Room in their huge influence from the depressive Burzum songs. However, I think Krallice is beginning to push the boundaries.

Screaming through the cosmos, Krallice creates and atmosphere unique to the band; its dual guitar leads and guitar tone that makes each note in a tremolo picked riff become clear send the listener into a vacant galaxy spinning forever into the unknown. Like most other black metal bands in the genre, the atmosphere is personal and makes the listener feel at solace with his isolation. With Colin’s screeching and yelling, it feels like he’s falling away from you letting the hypnotic constant melodies engulf the listener. This happens because Colin’s vocals are quite low in the mix; when the vocals are this low, it really lets the beauty of the guitar and bass work shine. As with the vocals, the drumming is exactly what a black metal band needs: it enhances the riffs and keeps the music going forward. There is an occasional fill, but it’s done so smoothly that it maintains the atmosphere.

Each Krallice song has an initial riff that hooks the listener, but the riff evolves through each song and eventually the song evolves back into the initial riff. This happens effortlessly and makes the album become one. The album does have a bit of evilness to it, which comes out after a few listens. From the CD case, under Timehusk it says “Solar winds breed lacerations.” This alludes to the ideas I’ve mentioned before, but it brings a slight bit of evilness to the atmosphere. Even though the listener is quite content with his/her isolation, there is an inkling of evilness that is always in the back of his/her mind.

Krallice’s debut is fantastic for anyone that enjoys heavily atmospheric black metal, and an album that can engulf its listener.

The Official Krallice Myspace
The Official Profound Lore Webiste