Kudos to an amazing resource here......

frank booth

New Metal Member
Feb 19, 2006
Greetings all,

just wanted to give HUGE props to Ron for an amazing site. the tab section is remarkable bro. to have this much info here on this site for FREE is absolutely unheard of. i just recently ordered both spastik ink cds and im floored.

thanks a million Ron, i just started taking lessons from Alex Skolnick, but i consider you to be my second teacher. i just finished up tracks for the upcoming candiria release (im a new addition to the group), and i really wish i started to learn your stuff earlier, while we were writing cuz you have helped my playing go to the next level.

what does your amp rig consist of? and i read that you use duncan distortion pickups, is this true? im a gear nut so any input would be greatly appreciated. i await the blotted science cd with unbridled anticipation.

keep killin em bro.

I've been using Seymour Duncan SH-6 pickups for the past 15-20 years, but just purchased a DiMarzio Evolution pickup a few weeks ago, and think I like the tone a bit more. There's a frequency around 400 coming out of the SH-6s that has bugged me for years, and it's not there with the Evolution, which sounds more even and rounded off to me. I remember back in the old days I had the old DiMarzio Super Distorion pickups, and they would constantly feedback when playing live at high volumes because they weren't waxed (which they are now). That was the main reason I switched to Seymour Duncan.

About the tab sheets, thanks a lot for the kind words. I'll eventually be putting up more because I've been transcribing lots of material from Ink and solo CDs for the upcoming DVD. I'll have all of the transciptions written in Encore, as printable as pdf files (very similar to the tab sheets for all of Ink Complete that are currently up).

For recording, I've been using a Johnson J-Station, which I'm rather happy with, but sometimes wish I had more gain. With my live rig (which I use for playing locally, and just used at a clinic) is a Line 6 2.0 pod, powered by a Mesa-Boogie 295 Simul-Class power amp, or the power amp from my old WatchTower Mesa-Boogie Mark III head. I don't use the preamp section from the Mark III anymore because I need more channels to work with (the line 6 has 36 preset channels while the Boogie has 3).

For rack effects, I still have my old Quadraverb, Digitech pitchshifter, and a Berringer paramateric EQ. I've been checking out the Eventide Eclipse, so that might be replacing the current rack setup that I have. I don't use any stomp pedals at all. Most of the fx that I use on recordings comes from computer software. I usually record totally dry, then add fx with Sound Forge. I've got literally hundreds of different settings for EQs, choruses, flangers, compressors, etc...

Ron

Ron's site is terrific, I completely agree. BTW, tell Skolnick great job in the new Testament dvd and, yes, we want another Attention Deficit cd from him here in Mo. as well. That's great that you're playing with Candiria Frank, they are an incredibly cool band! The only setting where I can stomach rap, but I listen for the intensity and occasional jazz breakdowns, as well as the interesting lyrics. Good stuff. - Jimmy Pitts

damn it ron, thanks a million. ive been diggin the dimarzios lately, i slapped an x2n into my ibanez rg (its got a mahogany body) and im not looking back (for a while at least). i recently converted from being a full on emg fanatic. the x2n is super articulate, and since ive been into boosting amps with a maxon od-808 lately, this pickup doesn't need a boost at all.

i would have never guessed that you used the j-station! and a mark III for watchtower? the line 6 stuff sounds amazing, especially mixed with the tube power amp. its a set up i considered heavily before i dropped down the cash for an old school 2 channel dual rectifier. the flexibility that the pod offers is unparalled.

ive been listening to spastic ink non-stop, i will never tire of these amazing releases. i can't wait for the dvd, or the blotted science cd.

and thanks for the kind words fractured. our next release is ready for mix down. im quite excited about that to say the least.

Hey just signed up. I've been a Watchtower fanatic ever since I was spinning Control on college radio in 1990 and just became an instant fan when I bought INC Compatable. But I just have to ask (with all the respect of humble fan), and forgive me if you guys have already talked about this till you were blue in the face, but if Mathematics is already finished (the Metal Manics article) why are you not releasing it? Do you not like it?

Just wondering. I'm not worthy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!