Kurt Ballou Signature Series Drum Library

Hi Burny,
Yeah, I'm definitely a natural drums guy, but that is based more on practicality than any sort of idealism. I see the benefit of replacing drums sometimes, particularly on songs tracked by other people in less than ideal circumstances, but I'm always frustrated by the inaccuracy of the triggering, lack of dynamics, lack of bleed, and lack of realistic tones available. Since I have a nice studio with a lot of good gear, it's usually faster for me to turn knobs than it is to go hit-by-hit making sure that the replacement is accurate and tonally appropriate. But with the way Room Sound is handling this, I won't have worry about any of those shortcomings anymore. I'm sure I'll still be recording live drums and not using samples very often for my recordings, but I expect to use it heavily on mix-only work and Converge demos.
-Kurt

Well I would like to know how the idea of a sample collection came since Kurt is known like a "natural drums kind of guy". Was there some sort of ethical dilemma behind it?
Not that I personally mind using samples (I will definitely find some use for some Godcity/ballou samples) but I admit nothing makes me more proud than not having to rely on them to get the desired result which is not always possible when you don't have your own place.

PS: I've been a fan of Converge since Caring And Killing.

I'm curious about the interface/player for the library. Can you share any more details about it? Kurt, your work on the Kvelertak albums blows my mind! I love everything that has come out of GodCity and I'm very stoked for this new library.

I don't know if this has been covered yet, but will this be offered as processed + unprocessed tracks ?
Also, is there several kits involved, and which ones ?

I don't know if this has been covered yet, but will this be offered as processed + unprocessed tracks ?
Also, is there several kits involved, and which ones ?

There will be light processing on the raw samples, with the rest of the processing will be generated / defeatable via the VI controls. This will be a VERY versatile library. There's definitely a lot of vibe on the raw sounds, though. The room here at Godcity is amazing.

As far as the drums go, we're doing a mix of Kurt's favorite kit pieces. There are a few of his custom-designed titanium snares, Tempus fiberglass toms, a Yamaha Recording Custom kick, a bunch of cymbals and some other goodies.

I'm curious about the interface/player for the library. Can you share any more details about it?

The exact details will take shape a bit further into process of preparing the samples. Our general design plan will make it possible to get an authentic sound from a single stereo instance if you want, but we'll also have full multi out of all the kit pieces. Plus, we'll have fully adjustable bleed at each mic position as well.

Yeah I don't really understand the special offer with TCI format if everything else is for Kontakt,I'd rather have Slate too for everything as I don't really care for the presets/internal processing offered...

If anybody who bought this could post some clips, it would be much appreciated. I know there are clips on the site already, but it's always nice to hear examples from a third party.

Hello everybody! Sorry that I forgot to drop in here. It's been a crazy few days since the release! Just to make a few things clear, this library is in Kontakt format, but we've licensed the Kontakt Player from Native Instruments, so you get the full Kontakt feature set without having to buy it. We've created pre-routed multi-out patches, so doing multi-out in your DAW should be as simple as it gets.

The reason for not doing TCI is simple: the scripting features within Kontakt allowed us to build a humanization engine that allows WAY more natural sample playback than Trigger is capable of by itself. You can still use Trigger to generate MIDI and then use the MIDI with the advanced playback engine in Kontakt. It's the best of both worlds. Kurt and I have been using MIDI replacement to test this workflow and have been VERY happy with the results.

Additionally, this library has extremely flexible and powerful routing capabilities with built-in effects modeled on Kurt's own gear, while still being very simple to use. These features just aren't possible outside of Kontakt.

I'll be happy to answer any questions, either here or via Room Sound support: support@roomsound.com

Thanks!

Reactions: Old Man Doom