Kyuss and beyond. . .

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
I am a big fan of Kyuss, Queens of the Stoneage, and Old Man Gloom. These bands all seem to have originated from the desert southwest area. Does anybody else think music from this area needs to reach a wider audience (with the exception of Queens . . ., who already has a large following)? I believe Isis is also from this area. What does everybody else think?

Good subject Npearce. Well, I am a fan of Kyuss, but not the other two. I've heard Old Man Gloom is like sludge/ noisecore. I'm not a fan of that stuff, sorry. Heard of Queens..., but haven't actually heard the music. But I have two Kyuss CD's and like both. I would like to see this kind of music get bigger. Another band I might lump in this group is Clutch. Whiel Clutch might not be considered metal, they definitely have metal aspects.

If you like Kyuss, you would love Isis. They have great riffs in the same manner that Kyuss did, but Isis is way heavier. The singer is also very angry. Old Man Gloom is similar, but more experimental. They combine psychedelic alien atmosphere and dark, angry songs in a strange but exciting combination. Isis is the more accessible band, though.

I know Old Man Gloom got good reviews in all the zines and mags I read. I actually have looked for their Seminar CD's, but they are hard to locate. I'll check out Isis

On a different note: I received Aghora's s/t debut. Man, this is some great stuff. Sorry, had to put a plug in there for Aghora

Ok, I went to read some reviews of Isis and Old man Gloom. They're noisecore. Only noisecore band I really listen to is Neurosis. A lot of these reviews were saying Isis is "the East Coast Neurosis".

I like Neurosis, but I've got to be in the mood for their music. I just can't pop in a Neurosis CD while driving, that stuff requires attention. I'll check out some Isis mp3's

I like Kyuss... and also Unida. Never have heard or don't like the other mentioned bands.

For some reason I hear a similarity in the guitar riffs of Kyuss and Isis. I only compared the two because I thought there has been a progression from Kyuss to band like Isis and Old Man Gloom. I call bands like Drowningman noisecore. Isis isn't quite the same, but I do see why you would call them noisecore. Isis is damn heavy, though.

I'd like to see more bands that are like trouble getting more attention. I know trouble are gone but some of them 'stoner bands' sound to me more like trouble. Like Hangnail for instance.

Old Man Gloom is sort of like Neurosis and Isis, but more psychedelic and experimental. Lots of heavy songs mixed with frequency manipulation. I like them a lot, but . . . I also like Khanate. Totally different than Khanate, though.