Church of Misery, Slow Horse, Grand Magus, Warhorse, Acid Bath, Clutch, Kyuss, etc.

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
These bands are my listening pleasure tonight since none of my orders arrived (with two of them from The End, is it really a surprise?) and there ain't shit on TV.

So, anyone else like these bands?

Church of Misery - Pretty much a must for the Sabbath doom bands like Warhorse. NAD would dig it since it has a certain Kyuss feel to it. I'm sure Nate and BSW have Master of Brutality already. And you gotta love the quote: "We hate trend. We hate corporate attitude. We hate the word 'stoner'. Death to false stoners!! LET THERE BE DOOM! !" My second favorite band from Japan behind Sigh.

Slow Horse - Almost everyone in this forum would like these guys. They released only two albums. Very Kyuss sounding, but without the "desert" feel, instead replaced with brooding bluesy rock feeling. I'm not kidding, you doom, stoner fans will love these guys. Very "jam session" like, but without getting annoying. I think Chedsey wrote some reviews, BTW. BSW and Nate, back me up here!!

Clutch - Always had a soft spot for 'em. Just plain ol' good swamp rock. The self titled is still one of the best driving albums out there, as is Pure Rock Fury.

Kyuss/Slo Burn - If you don't own any Kyuss, you're gay.

Acid Bath - If you don't own any Acid Bath, you're even more gay.

Grand Magus - Thank you, Nate. Each time I listen to these guys, I am more and more impressed. Just rockin' good tunes here. The self titled album rules.

Warhorse - I know it's good, but I haven't gotten into this one yet. More time is needed.

:kickass:

They all fucking rock except for Clutch. ;) Stoner/Doom is where my music heart is. That Warhorse - As Heaven Turns To Ash is fucking magnificet. I demand you to listen to it more. I just sent NAD the 2 Acid Bath albums and Warhorse from that list so he shouldn't be AS gay now. :loco: Other bands not mentioned, without the explanations would be:

YOB
Electric Wizard
Buried At Sea
5ive
Unearthly Trance
Agents of Oblivion
Bongzilla
Rwake
Grief
Dead Meadow
High on Fire
Asunder
Fistula
Keelhaul
Goatsnake
Molehill
Noothgrush
Moss
Ocean Chief
Sons of Otis
Orange Goblin
Rebreather
Rabies Caste
The Hidden HAnd
Toadliquor
Wormphlegm
Yeti

and a shitload more, etc etc... :kickass:

Kyuss, Electric Wizard and Bongzilla are magfuckingnificent. Sky Valley, Dopethrone, and Gateway happen to be my 3 favorite stoner-rock-doom albums.

BloodStainedWalls said:
They all fucking rock except for Clutch. ;) Stoner/Doom is where my music heart is. That Warhorse - As Heaven Turns To Ash is fucking magnificet. I demand you to listen to it more. I just sent NAD the 2 Acid Bath albums and Warhorse from that list so he shouldn't be AS gay now. :loco: Other bands not mentioned, without the explanations would be:
DUDE, YOU'RE GAY! Clutch rules! They have absolutely nothing to do with metal, I'll admit. They just write staight up awesome swamp rock.

I'm determined to listen to Warhorse until I get it, so don't worry. Good going on sending that stuff to NAD. He should love 'em.

Electric Wizard
5ive
Agents of Oblivion
Bongzilla
High on Fire
Keelhaul
I've heard Electric Wizard, Bongzilla, High on Fire and Keelhaul. None of them really did much for me, though Keelhaul was pretty damn good. Might as well mention Sleep if we talk about High on Fire. I cou;dn't get into 'em.

I have stuff from 5ive and the Agents album. Solid.

BloodStainedWalls said:
Noothgrush
Heh, "Noothgrush". I read "There's a Wocket in my Pocket" almost everynight to my 2 year old.

Grand Magus is brilliant. That's a 2003 release right? Shit, that would be top 10 material for sure. That shit is like Coverdale on vocals and Zakk Wylde on geetar.

Acid Bath and Kyuss are cool. I don't find myself yearning to put them on, but that's more so because of all the other stuff I have laying about.

I LOVE Sleep's Holy Mountain. Like Yob, it makes you feel stoned even when you're not smoking. A bit like Orange Goblin making you feel drunk even when you're not drinking, heh.

Buried at Sea is such a cool band name. Never heard them though.

Glad you enjoy that Sleep, couldn't get into it. I'm enjoying my Kristallnacht, thank you. :D

Gawd, Slow Horse fucking rules. Their cover of "Wicked Game" beats Chris Isaak's original and Today is the Day's cover of it. [Keanu Reeves]Woah![/Keanu Reeves]

KYUSS FUCKING RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULE

So sorry I'm just now getting into these dudes, but better late than never.

I've got a CD comp full of this stuff to review which gives me problems. Ehehe. I've heard very little in the genre previously...

EDIT: tracklist:

CLUTCH Sea Of Destruction
EARTHRIDE Grip The Wheel
THE HIDDEN HAND Rebellion
INTERNAL VOID Black Wings Of Deceit
LIFE BEYOND Rising Sunn
NITROSEED Class War
UNORTHODOX Lifeline
COUNTERSHAFT Black Sky
WAR INJUN Dangerous Prayer
BLACK MANTA Days Of Yore
LEVIATHAN A.D. Breathing Rust
KING VALLEY $2 Brain
CARRION Damned To Know
LOS TRES PESADOS The Ruler

It's a comp of doom/stoner stuff from Maryland, DC.

I've only heard of two of those bands. Clutch :kickass:

It should be law to close every bar with Clutch's "A Drink to the Dead".

Grand Magus are great, Kyuss = classic, and Warhorse are amazing.
From BloodStainedWalls' list, i like VERY MUCH :
High on Fire
Keelhaul
Orange Goblin
The Hidden HAnd
Though there are many musical differences between many of these bands .. probably what they all have in common is the huge Sabbath influence in their music. It is unfair to call all the bands mentioned in this thread ..."stoner".