Lacie Firewire Drive

avrinder

May 25, 2009
Canada
www.myspace.com
Hey guys, few weeks back I was asking why I kept getting error messages from recording into Logic Pro. I was recording to my internal hd (i know, i know) - and now I have bought a firewire drive for recording.

it's this one...

http://images.csnw.com/lrg/d-lac-301313u.jpg (Lacie 301313u)

I was told I would need to format the drive, to optimize usage in M-Powered Pro Tools, and Logic Pro. Would anyone be kind enough to give me a guide on how to do so? If you guys feel this is too much of a n00b question, please try to understand, I'm still pretty new to this

thanks a lot.

-avi

As soon as you plug in the harddrive the only thing you can do is to format it, because a window opens.
It recommends a 30GB "FAT32" partition and a big "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" - in my case 950GB or something.
You can select if you want this small FAT32 partition (good if you use it to share stuff with a windows pc /other people) because "FAT32" is read+write for windows AND os x, while "Mac OS Extended" is not readable and not writeable on windows.

PS: You can select the size of each partition by simply dragging the "border" between the partitions in the preview-window.
But a FAT32-partition can not be bigger than 32 GB because it's a bit outdatet. Or at least not with the menu that opens. I read somewhere that by now you can create bigger partition using Linux or Mac OS X (not windows. it's a windows system, though :lol: )
The maximum possible size for a file on a FAT32 volume is 4 GB minus, btw.