Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Lacrimas Profundere – Fall, I Will Follow
Napalm Records – NPR111 – 2002
By Russell Garwood

Lacrims Profundere’s days of gothic death/doom are now a thing of the past, and it seems reasonable to draw parallels with other doom bands that have followed similar paths – Anathema, Paradise Lost and Katatonia. The band’s evolution has led them to a new sound in which metallic elements remain, one best described as melancholic rock. Occasional pianos and electronics (Christopher Steiner) create great atmosphere, and at times help create compelling sections in dirge-like songs, while occasional quieter sections fragment the guitar based music.

There is quite a variation in tempo - every song is swathed in sorrow, but this is largely achieved through downcast lyrics and demoralizing melodies, aided by the rough, often effects-laden singing of Christopher Schmid. Guitars courtesy of Oliver Nikolas Schmid (lead) and Christian Freitsmeidl (rhythm) are crunchy and melodic, often juxtaposing the keys and making for complex, sentimental tunes. Rico Galvagno’s bass is straightforward but effective, and combined with Willi Wurm’s powerful, accomplished drumming helps create a good rhythm section.

"Fall, I Will Follow" is a successful release, which fans of melancholic music will love. My only complaint is that there is little variation, the songs all have the same atmosphere, and can blur into one extended gloomfest very easily. Moments of genius lift you out of the group’s suffocating negativity at times, and in small doses Lacrimas Profundere’s music is welcome and very enjoyable, but it is not the kind of thing you can listen to repeatedly.