Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
LACUNA COIL - COMALIES
Century Media - 2002

Comacover.jpg

By Rodrigo Escandon

Comalies is the latest album by the Italian band Lacuna Coil and while it may be their best effort it is an album that while I listened to it a lot when I first received it, I have found myself not really playing it any more.

Exactly why this has happened I really cannot say since when I do listen I really enjoy it.There are virtually no negatives I can say about Comalies. Everything is improved from their previous efforts, like Andrea’s singing. He sounds more melodic and not as rough as before. Cristina’s singing sounds more dreamy and mesmerizing and the interplay between these two singers is excellent, you really feel that there are two distinct characters expressing different emotions. The music is now more rocking and heavier than before but that does not mean that the hypnotic and luscious melodies are not present. “Self Deception” is my favorite song of the album because of the faster tempo, the great vocal interplay and the beautiful melodies. It would be the song that I would play people to explain what Lacuna Coil is about. Another similar song is “The Prophet Said”. It has aggressive and up-tempo verses with Andrea singing and the choruses have that “grand” chorus feel with Cristina’s melodic singing. While it is not a “Beauty and the Beast’ feel like Tristania, the interplay of the male and female characters is still extremely strong and effective

The synthesizers and keyboards are one of the strongest elements of Comalies. The intro to “Angel’s Punishment” is extremely effective in creating the mood of the title and lyrics of the song. Of note in this song is the harshest singing I have ever heard by Andrea. “Heaven’s A Lie” also features more prominent keyboard arrangements that really enhance the song but not to be outdone are the heavy guitars by Cristiano and Marco. Just like the different singing styles display two different personalities, the heavier guitars and the dreamier keyboards do exactly the same.

So there you have it, I have only positive things to say about Comalies. The fact of the matter that I might not listen to it very often does not mean I do not like it, it is just something that has happened but when I do listen to it I do end up quite happy and relaxed when the last song “Comalies” ends.

Century Media Website
Lacuna Coil Official Website

yes this album is decent sometimes the male vocalist kinda drives me nuts but the chicks voice is a good one and she can sing with some style indeed it,s a good album to put on if some girl is around u wanna bone she,ll think your sensitive or whatever and the music is sensual that is for sure nothing here to go crazy over but it,s an album to keep around