Lamentations - The artwork

Nectar

Member of Honour
Sep 15, 2001
Sweden
Look what I have found, a small picture of the new artwork. Looks like they are following their Deliverance/Damnation-path.

5464.jpg

Yeah Travis Smith is running out of ideas and Niklas Sundin uses too much layering these days and most metal bands still use them to make the covers.
Not the greatest combination if you look at the future.
It's still a good cover though,it's just not that great once you have ten covers looking like the same thing.

TheFourthHorseman said:
Yeah Travis Smith is running out of ideas and Niklas Sundin uses too much layering these days and most metal bands still use them to make the covers.
Not the greatest combination if you look at the future.
It's still a good cover though,it's just not that great once you have ten covers looking like the same thing.
I agree with you on Niklas... he's somewhat becoming tedious with his work.. but Travis? Are you joking? Take a look at the "A Natural Disaster" artwork from Anathema's newest release... after, just TRY and tell me he's out of ideas.

Smitty said:
I agree with you on Niklas... he's somewhat becoming tedious with his work.. but Travis? Are you joking? Take a look at the "A Natural Disaster" artwork from Anathema's newest release... after, just TRY and tell me he's out of ideas.
Ok I didn't know that one was his work. :) It's really neat.
I'm just saying that when you look at the latest Opeth releases (Deliverance & Damnation,and now Lamentations),Viva Emptiness and Charon's new one for example you definitely see a pattern there. They're all good,but like I said,having 10 albums like that is not so cool.

I would say you should wait for the next album. Because Lamentations, Deliverance and Damnation belong together ... they are nearly one. So it would be a bit senseless to produce 3 complete different covers.

Yes, it would look stupid if it was a totally new cover concept (except probably a plain band logo or pic of the guys). I don't think D1\D2 covers are that simmilar with Viva Emptiness, except both being gray, though I do see a small pattern, but then again the absence of colour fits all 3 albums.

Remember that these guys are artists of some despcription, same as Opeth. They have a certain style and flair and I think that is what will make their work their own. Asking them to change would be like asking Opeth to write an Indusrial/Goth record :loco: