Deliverance artwork & "The Ring" and other stuff

Demoke

This is the Almighty:
Oct 8, 2003
Berlin Germany
Hey guys,

Some questions -to put it in a nutshell-:

1) Have you ever thought of the paralellism between the Deliverance and Lamentations artwork and "The Ring" (the American version -I haven't seen the Japanese-)?

2) Would you like to see some really "scary" stuff on the new Opeth CD?

3) Is it more difficult to show fear than despair, love, hopelessness, through music?

4) Any recommendations for "scary" bands / songs -if there are-?

5) In which city is the Baroque building at the Still Life back cover?

6) What's the name of the font throughout the Deliverance booklet?

Cheers, mates.

3) Interesting question...and i believe it all has to do with what the artist is feeling..and how the listener interperates it. a listener may interperate an artist's view of fear as their view of love.

Actually, The Ring really reminded me of the Silent Hill series of games. The whole movie had that sickly green tint and reminded me of the choking feeling in those games. Plus, the fact that they had that little girl locked up and were trying to control her was definitely paralleled with the storyline of the first Silent Hill game. Also, at the part in the movie where they find the little girl's 'room' in the barn makes me think of the sudden environment changes that take place in Silent Hill. Really cool stuff.

Demoke said:
6) What's the name of the font throughout the Deliverance booklet?

Cheers, mates.
Aqualine. It is used in everything from Still Life and up, with the exception of Blackwater Park.

This should be put in the FAQ.

1) I didn't really think the albums where in anyway close to the ring.
2) I'm cool with whatever the band wants to do, it's just I really do not think it's necessary to put Cannible Corpse art with Opeth music.
3) Depends on the songwriter
4) Someone said Mayhem was the most frightening band they've ever heard, but that's kind of stupid. To be honest ever since I started observing extreme metal, music doesn't really frighten me.
5) Don't Know
6) Aqualine

Demoke said:
3) Is it more difficult to show fear than despair, love, hopelessness, through music?
I'm curious about how you'd define fear in music. It's not exactly 'easy' to express dispair, hopelessness etc. through music, but some bands do it better than others. Some bands can make you feel like the floor is going to fall out from under you, or that the walls are going to close in on you... and then make you feel as if you want it to happen. Not sure if this could be related to the 'fear' you mentioned, but here are a few recommendations.

Burzum - Filosofem (This album is extremely emotive, and expresses human weakness very well)
Abyssic Hate - Suicidal Emotions (Very similar style to Burzum, but more of a concept album that goes through each of the emotions leading up to suicide)
Xasthur - The Funeral of Being (Very hatefull, but despairing black metal)

Demoke said:
4) Any recommendations for "scary" bands / songs -if there are-?
Depends again on how you'd define 'scary'... but here are a few bands that have something of a horror theme.

Portal - Seepia (Unique Aussie death metal with an antique horror theme)
Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon (pretty horrific stuff... not easy listening)
Abruptum - Obscuritatem Advoco Amplectére Me (Nightmarish...)
Nazxul - Totem (Aussie black metal with horror themes)
Rev. Kriss Hades - The Wind of Orion (Guitarist of Nazxul, solo project. Pure terror and hate)
Von - Satanic Blood (Scary shit, plan and simple)

ethereallights said:
4) Someone said Mayhem was the most frightening band they've ever heard, but that's kind of stupid. To be honest ever since I started observing extreme metal, music doesn't really frighten me.

Whenever I hear the Bee Gees I scream and runaway....does that count as frightening?

When I have the time I'll add some comments on the other questions... For the time being I just asked Trav Smith about question number 6 and he replied he used a font called "Ex Ponto." I've searched for it but I always get a link to www.fonts.com, where I have to pay $22 for it. My question is, is there anybody here who has that font and who would be so so nice as to share it with me?