Rock am Ring 2003

Morpheus

Jan 20, 2002
Siegen, Germany
Hi lads,

I was just back from Rock am Ring yesterday and thought i could give you a short impression from what i experienced, and, UM didn't work again and fucked up the whole message i wrote :(

BUt i will write it down again, for everyone who is interested.

Main emphasis i will lay on the three headliners, which were (with some others) the most interesting bands for me.

Iron Maiden (Friday): It was very cool to see one of my fave bands from my teenage years playing such a big festival, which i could see live! I hadn't seen a Maiden gig for years and didn't know anything about the setlist or the show. Only thing i knew that they were back with Bruce as frontman. So i was curious about what songs they were going to play. And they played many old tunes, and the show was great. We even got Eddie:hotjump:! Playlist:

1) The Number Of The Beast
2) The Trooper
3) Die With Your Boots On
4) Revelations
5) Hallowed Be Thy Name
6) 22 Acacia Avenue
7) Wildest Dreams
8) The Wicker Man
9) Brave New World
10) The Clansman
11) The Clairvoyant
12) Heaven Can Wait
13) Fear Of The Dark
14) Iron Maiden
15) Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter
16) 2 Minutes To Midnight
17) Run To The Hills

Placebo (Saturday): They replaced Linkin Park, for their singer has health problems. To be honest, as i heard Placebo was to replace them i wasn't sad about it:D! And Placebo did a great job, althouzgh they had to play the Pinkpop festival on saturday as well. I think they played there at 5 pm and travelled then to to Rock am Ring!
It was many new stuff from the latest album they played. And those songs sounded much heavier than on the album, much better imo! Of course they played some older tunes as well, but the main stress was laid on on the latest two albums! To rank them, they came close to Iron Maiden for me linking!

Metallica (Sunday): Well, it was a dream for me to see them live and then after so many years and so much trouble they had, it was great experience to see them back in germany! The only thing which i was afraid of, was, that they would either play to many new songs (sorry, but i threw ST. Anger after song 5 out of the cd player ;); nah seriously i have to give it another chance) or that they they would make the older songs sound like the new. Both didn't happen fortunately!!!
The show was really good and the new songs sounded way better with a normal snare!!! And they played so many old tunes, at least 4 songs from And Justice for all...
And the show didn't get worser just because Kirk didn't get the solos right ( well at least at the beginning) or the fact that James voice wasn't like the old one! They had pyro effects again and were very actively on stage! It was really great and I'm gald that i could have been there!!!

Playlist (not exact running order):

Blackened
No remorse
Harvester of sorrow
Welcome home sanatarium :hotjump:
The thing that should not be
For whom the bell tolls
Frantic
Seek and destroy
St anger
One
Battery

Encore 1

Master of puppets
Nothing else matters
Creeping death

Encore 2

Sad but true
Enter sandman

Other gigs i enjoyed were: Queens of the stoneage (though the weather fucked up the gig a bit)
Dave Gahan (good show, musically only the Depeche Mode soings and a few of his new songs were good)
Evanescence (good voice live as well)
Die Happy
Blackmail

bad gigs: Deftones (shitty sound)
Manson (shitty sound, big show, don#t like most of his songs)
Emil Bulls (bad sound)

gigs i missed: Audioslave (just heard them from far away)
Moby (we were too tired and it was too cold after the Metallca show to watch the gig)
Stereophonics (only saw one song)
The Hives (well Maiden played at the same time....)
Silverchair (same here, though we got to hear a one or two songs)
Reamonn (we weren't to interested in them)

All in all it was a really cool pentecost weekend, with a lot of cool bands, nice mates, and long (too long) nights! Unfortunately we haven't had enough time to party after the gig, but still it was a lot of fun!

If one is interested i might post some pics ! Thanx for you patience :p

cheers

yeah, i will record it on 15.06.03
01.35 - 02.35 Uhr on WDR Rockplast, for anyone who can watch this channel, zap in if you like, they broadcast(ed) nearly everything of Rock am Ring!

the metallica setlist is a killer! especially blackened and sanitarium, they haven't played those for quite some time. maiden setlist's ok too, some good oldies in there. only two weeks left...

yeah, cerulean, it seems like they won't broadcast the whole show, them fuckers :( didn't recognized that in the first place!
But there are other medias to get the full show (anyone heard about emule?)

@Pieter it was better than everything after Bruce left the band ;)! To be honest, it wasn't as good as the old stiff, of course, but i just heard it once, so maybe it grows. you will see them soon , and i guess they will play it again.

I saw the show also on MTV. It wasn't that bad, but James' voice's gone.
The new songs sounded better live but I'm not convinced enough to buy the new album.

I've seen them several times live, and that are great memories (especially the Ghent gig in '93) , don't want to spoil those by seeing them live again.

no that i got a bootleg of the show and am listening to it right now, i must say, that they made alot of mistakes (esp. Kirks solos, now i know why they won't let him play any solos on the new one :lol:), but the show was anyway great, they rocked, no matter how many mistakes they were!