LANFEAR "Another Golden Rage"

J-Man

Old as Yoda
Jan 11, 2005
Texas
This band is totally amazing, i just purchased their new Cd "Another Golden Rage" on a hunch (i liked the cover artwork) man was i surprised :OMG:
Awesome Progressivemetal yet very melodic. Tobias Althammer
has an amazing voice, and Marcus Ullrich is a very underrated
guitar player. The rest of the band are excellent in their own right.
So anyone into Pagans Mind or Shadow Gallery, or even
Symphony X should check them out. www.intrometal/lanfear

Oh Yeah Glenn what are the chances of Lanfear next year??????
Also check out Evidence One.

:headbang:

I have yet to pick either this one or "The Art Effect", but I do intend to either before Progpower or at Progpower. And yes, definitely a good choice for a future Progpower.

lucretia96 said:
mediocre overrated crap

Ah.

Could you elucidate, please? What makes it 'mediocre, overrated crap'? As compared to what? What empirical evidence do you have that it is 'mediocre' or indeed 'overrated'?

I just love the fuck out of short reviews that say nothing. :erk:

FWIW, I liked what I heard, bought Another Golden Rage 'for real' and have played them on WREKage. (And will do so again, once I'm back in a normal-length timeslot....)

I take awhile to "get" most prog albums, so almost every single one I buy sounds bad the first couple of times I hear it. I went into Progpower only mildly interested in Dreamscape last year and feeling I'd overspent when I bought End of Silence for $25.

A few months after Progpower, and about a dozen listens later, I love it. And I am so happy I'll get another chance to see Dreamscape, as I was only half paying attention last year. I perked up for the one song I did enjoy at the time(Short Time News), but pretty much just sat and listened with one year for the rest.

Every review I've read of Lanfear is that it is excellent prog metal, so I'm going to assume it is until I listen to it 50 times and decide I still don't get it.

On another note, I don't really know how you tell what bad prog is. I always assume if I don't like it that I'm just not getting it. Unlike with power metal, where you can easily detect a bad song on the first listen.

While never actually hearing this band,their name sticks out...

I'm supposing they're big fans of Robert Jordan's books?

Rock on!

The Art Effect is "ok"... i'd say 6 or 7 out of 10. its clear that they're talented but the songs are imo forgettable...

on the otherhand, briefly mentioned in the original poster's last line: the band Evidence One is imo awesome. great hard rock/80s stuff similar to Pink Cream 69.

ashaman7122 said:
While never actually hearing this band,their name sticks out...

I'm supposing they're big fans of Robert Jordan's books?

Rock on!

Hahahaha, I was kinda wondering when you'd make the connection. :tickled:

I think Lanfear, Samael and The Forsaken should all tour together. Call it "the Chosen Tour." :D (Yeah, I know... Samael pre-date the Wheel of Time series.)

Say, I wonder if RJ knows about Lanfear the band? If I can, I'll ask him in September at Dragon*Con.

adaher said:
I take awhile to "get" most prog albums, so almost every single one I buy sounds bad the first couple of times I hear it. I went into Progpower only mildly interested in Dreamscape last year and feeling I'd overspent when I bought End of Silence for $25.

A few months after Progpower, and about a dozen listens later, I love it. And I am so happy I'll get another chance to see Dreamscape, as I was only half paying attention last year. I perked up for the one song I did enjoy at the time(Short Time News), but pretty much just sat and listened with one year for the rest.

Every review I've read of Lanfear is that it is excellent prog metal, so I'm going to assume it is until I listen to it 50 times and decide I still don't get it.

On another note, I don't really know how you tell what bad prog is. I always assume if I don't like it that I'm just not getting it. Unlike with power metal, where you can easily detect a bad song on the first listen.
They aren't really all that proggy these days. It's mainly power metal with some progressive elements intermixed. Both the new one and The Art Effect are in the same power metal vein. I prefer The Art Effect though, but the new one is solid too. I also have to agree with the folks that think they would be a nice Prog/Power band for next year.

DarkTide said:
They aren't really all that proggy these days. It's mainly power metal with some progressive elements intermixed. Both the new one and The Art Effect are in the same power metal vein. I prefer The Art Effect though, but the new one is solid too. I also have to agree with the folks that think they would be a nice Prog/Power band for next year.
What he said.

Zod

I gave it two spins......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....yawn

singer is decent

lucretia96 --mediocre overrated crap

agreed

course I should be honest...I'm currently spinning
Circus Maximus-1st Chapter

Pagan's Mind-Enigmatic Calling

Lalu-Oniric Metal

and Lanfear is not in any of these three's league

just the honest truth

glasscastle said:
I gave it two spins......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....yawn

singer is decent

lucretia96 --mediocre overrated crap

agreed

course I should be honest...I'm currently spinning
Circus Maximus-1st Chapter

Pagan's Mind-Enigmatic Calling

Lalu-Oniric Metal

and Lanfear is not in any of these three's league

just the honest truth

HMMMMMMM spinning Circus Maximus "1st Chapter" and Pagan's Mind "Enigmatic Calling" do you have a pipeline to get Cd's before they are released so you can spin them, just wondering. Plus ohhhhh nevermind, listening to three at once i have done that before but not on purpose.

Silent Song said:
The Art Effect is "ok"... i'd say 6 or 7 out of 10. its clear that they're talented but the songs are imo forgettable...

on the otherhand, briefly mentioned in the original poster's last line: the band Evidence One is imo awesome. great hard rock/80s stuff similar to Pink Cream 69.
I really liked the first Evidence One, but wasn't nearly as thrilled with the second album. The first one is a must for melodic hard rock/metal fans, though.

The new Lanfear is easily in my top 5 this year so far... it's a briliant release with varierty, integrity and brutality.

I recommend for anyone who has not hear these guys, or their latest album, to check out these two songs: "Shades of Black" and "Eternally".

These two songs are polar opposites and show the streangth of their songwritting. From extreme to melodic/light.... absolutly awsome material!!!

ironicly, other albums in the top five this year:

Evidence One - Tattooed Heart
Tears of Anger - Still Alive
Nightingale - Invisable
Imagika - Devil on both Sides

\m/
Dustin