Laptop processing power troubles

AdamWathan

Apr 12, 2002
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
So I was trying to mix a project away from home on my laptop last night and my processor was running at like 85-90% the whole time, with the audio getting all bugged up and slowing down randomly etc. It was only like 24 tracks of audio, only plugins being used were apTrigga, a few instances of ReaEQ, AmpegSVX and like 8-10 instances of Stillwell Rocket.

The machine is only like 1.5 years old, Core 2 Duo 2ghz processor with 4gb of ram, I had no other software running except for your usual background processes but task manager said that Reaper was the software that was using the whole 85% of my processing power the whole time. Does this seem totally unreasonable to anyone else? It is making me question how well my Core 2 Quad 4gb machine is going to perform after I build it if my laptop craps out without a single reverb instance... Does my laptop not sound more than powerful enough to deal with 24 tracks of audio with minimal FX?

Personally I'd render any amp sims and soft synths and sample replacers. Makes things much more stable, but this is a hangover from the days of g4s .

that doesn't seem like too much to be honest.. in reaper you can check individual plugs CPU usage? is there any one which is using more than it should be?