Layering amp tones

Sep 16, 2004
www.whereshewept.com
I was reading an old guitar mag article on Jerry Cantrell and he mentioned tracking guitars for Dirt by layering the highs and lows in seperate passes. Then i remembered an article w/Scott Ian where he mentioned that during the sessions for The Sound Of White Noise, 3 amps were used, one for highs, one for mids , and one for lows.

What i'd like to know is did they track seperatly or reamp into several amps.

That was the other theory i was wondering about. I used to play around with my triaxis like that. a few years ago i did a demo w/3 rhythm guitars (L,C,R), each a different LD mode. My singer flipped out about the guitar tones, He loved it.

So, taking that into consideration, would you just record the three (or however many) amps normally and high pass/low pass each amp to isolate the desired frequencies?

I don't think the actually only used a specific frequency range of each amp. I think they accentuated the frequencies where a specific amp sounded the best and layered them to taste.

(Example: One might use a mid-heavy amp like the 5150 in combination with a Rectifierer for lows/highs as this one's kinda scooped - you get what I mean?)

I don't think the actually only used a specific frequency range of each amp. I think they accentuated the frequencies where a specific amp sounded the best and layered them to taste.

(Example: One might use a mid-heavy amp like the 5150 in combination with a Rectifierer for lows/highs as this one's kinda scooped - you get what I mean?)

True. That just seems like straight up layering complimenting amps. I'd be curious to hear the hybrids that you could make taking frequency clumps of different amps and making one. I'm pretty sure Adam Jones does that with his live rig. At least that's what I've been told.

I heard something about Dimebag Darryl doing this with his solid state Randall. Not sure if he did in post eq or on the amp itself though:Smug:

So, taking that into consideration, would you just record the three (or however many) amps normally and high pass/low pass each amp to isolate the desired frequencies?

The only thing that makes sense to me is that he played the licks differently with each take, maybe to tame the low end without losing the attack of the highs. Seems tedious if that is the case.

Edit: I take that back--they may not have had the ability to reamp at that point, in which case, it makes sense that they'd do 3 takes.